What was an intense week in Alexandria. Here is the rundown.
History was made, as the new marquees at Alexandria City High School and Naomi L. Brooks Elementary Schools were unveiled this week, and the name changes to T.C. Williams High School and Matthew Maury Elementary School will go into effect July 1. It’s a victory for civil rights, as the namesakes of both old schools had backgrounds steeped in racism. Maury was a Confederate leader and Williams was an ACPS superintendent who worked intently against racial integration.
City Manager Mark Jinks on Tuesday also announced his intention to retire at the end of the year. Jinks, who made the announcement to City Council, hinted to ALXnow last month that he was seeking retirement. Today (Friday, June 25) is also the last day for retiring Alexandria Police Chief Michael Brown, who will be moving to the West Coast to deal with family matters. Assistant Chief Don Hayes is taking over as acting chief until a national search narrows down a preferred candidate for the job.
Law enforcement events also dominated this week’s coverage. On Tuesday, first responders saved a woman experiencing a mental health crisis who was dangling perilously off the Monroe Avenue Bridge, followed by news Wednesday that a suspect was arrested for a West End murder along with 16 others in a massive racketeering conspiracy. On Thursday, a barricade situation in the West End ended peacefully.
In this week’s poll, when asked whether transit improvements would make residents more likely to take the bus, 48% said they don’t take the bus often and won’t likely change their habits; 38% said they don’t often take the bus, although transit improvements might change that; and 14% said that they already frequent the Metro and DASH bus systems.
- After dual election losses, Mark Levine says he’s deciding his next move
- T.C. Williams High School track stars win big at state championships
- Lee-Fendall House raises over $5,000 to repair collapsed 200-year-old wall
- After more delays, Halal slaughterhouse owner now says he will open in July
- Alexandria songwriter Mia Humphrey wants to take you on an emotional journey
- Old Town and Del Ray business rivals battle for supremacy in softball game
- Alexandria City Public Schools scraps recreation center classroom plans
- Parker-Gray tiny lot home moves forward with some unique challenges
- Researchers call out shoddy craftsmanship in buried 18th century Alexandria ship
- Alexandria woman dies after veering off road on Interstate 95
- Man suspected of raping 12-year-old stepdaughter in Landmark area flees to El Salvador
- JUST IN: Thieves break into more than 60 vehicles in West End
- JUST IN: Rarity as American Viper Rattlesnake found in Old Town
- Massive redevelopment of West End apartment building has neighbors worried about street parking impact
- UPDATE: Alexandria first responders save suicidal woman on Monroe Avenue Bridge
- City Council emphasizes marketing funding for Alexandria’s ‘Hot Girl Summer’
- Mother and boyfriend allegedly beaten by knife-wielding ex in Old Town North
- With eviction moratorium expiring, city pushes renters and landlords toward rental assistance
- Shortened Alexandria Birthday celebration is still on for July 10
- BREAKING: California man arrested for West End murder, indicted with 16 others in massive racketeering conspiracy
Have a safe weekend!
Just as the school resource officer debate started to cool down, things have started heating up between the City Council local first responder unions and city leadership over pay issues….
Halloween is fast approaching and the time-honored tradition of trick-or-treating will be back in full swing. Last year, the Alexandria Health Department (AHD) had discouraged the practice for fear of…
At an upcoming Alexandria City Council meeting on Tuesday (Oct. 26), City Manager Mark Jinks is scheduled to present a planned mid-year pay increase for city employees, though local unions…
Open this Sunday from 1-3 p.m. and included in the latest Just Listed is a 4 BD/3 BA home with a gas fireplace, deck and breakfast nook.