Post Content

Alexandria City High School (ACHS) was evacuated in response to a bomb threat earlier today, the second day in a row that bomb threats have forced a school evacuation.

The school was evacuated at 2:25 p.m. today, though students were already dismissed earlier at 1:15 p.m. for parent-teacher conferences.

According to an email sent out to the ACHS community by Principal Peter Balas:

At 2:25 p.m. today, the Alexandria City High School (ACHS) King Street campus was evacuated in response to a bomb threat. Students had been dismissed at 1:15 p.m. today for early dismissal due to parent-teacher conferences.

The remaining staff, students and families in the building for the parent-teacher conferences were evacuated from the King Street Campus to designated areas outside, while the Alexandria Police Department and Alexandria Fire Department are conducting an on-site investigation.

The safety and security of our students, staff and families in our school facilities are of utmost priority. Teachers and school administrators will provide information to families about the rescheduling of today’s parent-teacher conferences.

The evacuation comes one day after a previous evacuation due to a bomb threat.

2 Comments

Updated at 3:15 p.m. Alexandria City High School’s campuses evacuated at 2:25 p.m. today after a bomb threat was made earlier by phone.

Principal Peter Balas wrote that the bomb threat was made while the schools were under a “Secure the Building” status.

“The Alexandria Police Department and Alexandria Fire Department are on site and working with ACHS administration, ACPS leadership and the ACPS Office of Safety and Security Services,” Balas wrote.

Balas said that students were evacuated to designated outdoor areas and that buses were sent early to speed up dismissal.

“At 2:45 p.m., the ‘Secure the Building’ status was lifted at the Minnie Howard Campus,” Balas wrote. “As a result, students may be able to leave both campuses early, depending on the arrival of the buses, while others may have a delayed departure from school, as the safety protocol allows.”

ACPS is asking parents follow directions from the Alexandria Police Department once they arrive to pick up their child from the school.

Additionally, all after school and evening activities scheduled today at the ACHS King Street and Minnie Howard campuses are canceled, including:

  • All athletics, although some away games are still occurring. Instructions on pick-up for away games will be communicated at a later time
  • All student clubs, theatrical, musical or other activities
  • Any community activities scheduled at these ACHS facilities.

In a release, Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) said the buildings were put in secure status at 11:45 a.m. after a threat was received by phone.

According to the release:

The threat is being investigated by the Alexandria City High School administration, Alexandria City Public Schools Office of Safety and Security Services and the Alexandria Police Department.

“Secure the building” means that the school day continues on a normal schedule inside the school but no one is allowed to enter or leave the school while the building remains secured. The decision to secure the ACHS King Street and Minnie Howard campuses was taken out of an abundance of caution to allow the investigation to proceed.

The safety and security of our students and staff are of utmost priority. We will continue to communicate via text, email and the school website to provide the most up-to-date information.

This is the second time in a little over a week that ACPS put schools into secure the building mode. Last Tuesday, ACPS said Francis C. Hammond Middle School, James K. Polk Elementary School, Patrick Henry PreK-8 School and James K. Polk Elementary Schools were put in a secure mode after police investigated a shots fired call nearby — though what this meant for the still under-reconstruction Douglas Macarthur Elementary School is unclear.

James Cullum contributed to this article

4 Comments
A Lorton man was arrested on DWI charges after allegedly crashing into four cars at the intersection of S. Patrick Street and Gibbon Streets on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023 (via Google Maps)

A 23-year-old Lorton man was charged with driving while intoxicated after allegedly crashing into four cars in Old Town.

The crash occurred near the intersection of S. Patrick Street and Gibbon Street at around 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 21. Three people suffered minor injuries and went to the hospital, and the driver was released later that day.

The driver failed a field sobriety test, refused medical attention and admitted to police that he drank four Modello beers before the crash, according to a recently released search warrant affidavit.

“I shouldn’t have driven tonight,” the suspect allegedly told police, according to the search warrant affidavit.

The suspect was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) and goes to court on Feb. 2.

Map via Google Maps

2 Comment

The owner of car stolen from the 200 block of N. Ripley Street says that his keys were stolen from his unlocked apartment in the early morning of Jan. 2, 2023 (via Google Maps)

A 25-year-old Alexandria man faces multiple charges after being found with a stolen car and allegedly running away from police earlier this month.

The car owner told police that someone must have entered his unlocked apartment and gotten the keys to his 2015 white Honda CRV between midnight on Jan. 1 and 10:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 2, according to a search warrant affidavit. The Honda owner then checked a GPS tracker, which showed it parked a mile-and-a-half away in the 5600 block of Derby Court in the Mark Center area.

Police went to the address and found the male suspect getting a black jacket out of the backseat of the stolen Honda. The suspect “took off running” when he saw police, according to the search warrant affidavit.

Police could not confirm whether the suspect arrested was the same as the person who stole the car.

“(The officer) was unable to find any information on who stole the vehicle at this time and (the suspect) was not currently driving the vehicle when it was located,” police said in the search warrant affidavit.

The suspect was arrested and charged with driving on a suspended/revoked license, public intoxication, entering a stolen vehicle, preventing law enforcement from making an arrest and possession of Schedule I/II drugs. He was released from jail on Jan. 6 on a $2,500 unsecured bond and goes to court on Feb. 23.

Map via Google Maps

5 Comments
A teen was shot to death at a hotel room in the West End on Jan. 27, 2023 (via Google Maps)

(Updated at 10:30 p.m.) A 17-year-old Arlington resident has been charged with possession of firearm by a minor, after another 17-year-old was fatally shot in a West End hotel room.

The shooting occurred at around 11:30 p.m. on Friday night in a room in the Courtyard By Marriott Pentagon South (4641 Kenmore Avenue), according to dispatch. Multiple juveniles were in the room when the 17-year-old male victim was shot in the chest.

The juvenile suspect was charged with being a minor in possession of a firearm. He was found two blocks away in the 4800 block of Kenmore Avenue, according to dispatch recordings.

This is the first shooting death of 2023 in Alexandria. APD did not respond to requests for comment on this incident.

This incident remains under investigation and APD asks anyone with related information related to contact APD Detective Matthew Kramarik via at 703-746-6650 or by email at [email protected]. Callers can remain anonymous.

5 Comments
A woman was robbed of cash in the 1500 block of Princess Street on Saturday Jan. 21, 2023 (via Google Maps)

No one was injured and no arrests have yet been made after a woman was robbed at gunpoint in Old Town on Saturday night, according to the Alexandria Police Department.

The incident occurred just before 8 p.m. outside in the 1500 block of Princess Street.

The 28-year-old female victim was not injured, but was robbed of cash by a man with a gun wearing a black ski mask and trench coat, according to dispatch.

The suspect fled on foot, APD told ALXnow.

Anyone with information on this incident can call the APD non-emergency number at 703-746-4444. Callers can remain anonymous.

Map via Google Maps

2 Comments
Alexandria Police arrested a Woodbridge man for allegedly stabbing a man in the 1400 block of N. Beauregard Street on Sunday, Jan. 15, 2023 (via Google Maps)

A 28-year-old Woodbridge man is being held without bond for allegedly cutting a man with a knife in the West End on Sunday morning, Jan. 15.

The incident occurred just after midnight in the 1400 block of N. Beauregard Street, near the William Ramsay Recreation Center. The 45-year-old victim was cut with a sharp object and treated at the scene, police told ALXnow.

The suspect, Mateo Amaya, knows the victim and was arrested that day and charged with malicious wounding, according to police.

“A weapon was recovered (in connection to the incident),” Alexandria Police Department spokesperson Marcel Bassett told ALXnow. “Nothing was reported stolen.”

Amaya goes to court for the offense on February 17.

Map via Google Maps

0 Comments
Brian Wardell Morris, the suspect in connection to a shooting in the West End on Jan. 15, 2023 (via APD)

(Updated 3 p.m.) The 27-year-old suspect in a West End Shooting on Jan. 15 was “mistakenly released” from the Prince George’s County jail five days after the offense, according to Alexandria Police.

Police released the identity of the suspect, Brian Wordell Morris, who is wanted for allegedly shooting a 22-year-old man three times during a child custody transfer with the suspect’s child.

The victim was shot multiple times at around 5 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 15, at an apartment building in the 4600 block of Duke Street.

The girlfriend of the victim called police and told the dispatcher that her “baby’s father shot her boyfriend.”

According to police:

On January 20, 2023, the Alexandria Police Department’s Special Investigations Unit with the help of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task force took Brian Wordell Morris Jr., 27, a City of Alexandria Resident, into custody in connection with this incident.

On the same day, Mr. Morris was mistakenly released from a Prince George’s County Jail; his current whereabouts are unknown.

The 22-year-old victim was shot in the torso and the back and is expected to recover.

The Prince George’s County Department of Corrections released this statement on Jan. 24:

On January 20, an inmate was released from the Prince George’s County Department of Corrections (PGDOC) by mistake. Brian Wordell Morris Jr. was transported to PGDOC at 2:45 p.m. January 20 on an open warrant for a malicious wounding charge stemming from Alexandria, Virginia. He was erroneously released more than an hour later at 4:03 p.m. The Department of Corrections’ Office of Professional Responsibility and Legal Affairs is investigating the incident. Multiple jurisdictions are working to locate Morris to include the Alexandria Police Department, the Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force. 

Police reviewed video of the incident, which showed the mother of the child walk from her car to the suspect’s car, take the child into custody and then back. The male victim then approached the suspect’s car, opened a passenger door and “appears to be shot multiple times,” police said in the search warrant affidavit. “[The victim] retreats on foot as the shooter exits the vehicle and shoots one more time in his direction.”

As previously reported, last August, the suspect was found guilty of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, assault and battery and violating his probation. Alexandria Circuit Court Judge James C. Clark sentenced him to four years for the possession and assault charges and six years for the probation violation, with all but one year suspended. The suspect was then released for time served.

APD asks anyone with information to contact Detective John Bratelli via phone at 703-746-6699, email at [email protected], or to call the APD non-emergency line at 703-746-4444. Callers can remain anonymous.

Alexandria’s Sexual Assault Center and Domestic Violence Program is open, and hotlines are available 24/7 at 703-684-7273 [Sexual Assault Hotline] or 703-746-4911 [Domestic Violence Hotline].

Map via Google Maps

9 Comments
Shots were fired near the intersection of N. West and Princess Streets in Old Town on the early morning of Friday, Jan. 20, 2023 (via Google Maps)

No arrests were made after multiple gunshots were reported in the Braddock neighborhood early Friday morning.

Police received multiple emergency calls for at least 10 gunshots just after 1 a.m. near the intersection of N. West Street and Princess Street. Witnesses reported that a dark-colored SUV fled the scene.

No one was injured in the incident, which remains under investigation. Police released no additional information.

APD asks anyone with information to call the APD non-emergency line at 703-746-4444. Callers can remain anonymous.

Map via Google Maps

2 Comments
A man was shot in the 4600 block of Duke Street on Sunday, Jan. 15, 2023 (via Google Maps

Updated 4:30 p.m. — The 27-year-old suspect in a West End Shooting on Sunday was released from jail last year after spending more than a year in jail on assault and weapons charges, according to court records.

The 22-year-old male victim was shot multiple times at around 5 p.m. at an apartment building in the 4600 block of Duke Street. The girlfriend of the victim called police and told the dispatcher that her “baby’s father shot her boyfriend.”

The incident occurred during a child custody transfer, according to a search warrant affidavit. The 22-year-old victim was shot in the torso and the back and is expected to recover.

Police reviewed video of the incident, which showed the mother of the child walk from her car to the suspect’s car, take the child into custody and then back. The male victim then approached the suspect’s car, opened a passenger door and “appears to be shot multiple times,” police said in the search warrant affidavit. “(The victime) retreats on foot as the shooter exits the vehicle and shoots one more time in his direction.”

The suspect was last seen driving away from the building in a white Mercedes SUV, which belongs to his mother, who lives less than two miles away from where the incident occurred.

No arrest has been made, but shortly after the shooting APD tweeted that it believed there was “no current threat to the public.” Police did not clarify to ALXnow why there was no current threat.

Last August, the suspect was found guilty of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, assault and battery and violating his probation.

Alexandria Circuit Court Judge James C. Clark sentenced him to four years for the possession and assault charges and six years for the probation violation, with all but one year suspended. The suspect was then released for time served.

The suspect faces probation violation, the reimposition of suspended sentences, in addition to weapons and attempted murder charges.

APD asks anyone with information to contact Detective John Bratelli via phone at 703-746-6699, email at [email protected], or to call the APD non-emergency line at 703-746-4444. Callers can remain anonymous.

Alexandria’s Sexual Assault Center and Domestic Violence Program is open, and hotlines are available 24/7 at 703-684-7273 [Sexual Assault Hotline] or 703-746-4911 [Domestic Violence Hotline].

Map via Google Maps

12 Comments
×

Subscribe to our mailing list