Notes: Old Town North building sold for $15.4 million to be turned into mixed-use apartment building

Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria!

🌧️ Today’s weather: Expect showers between 9am and 3pm, with increasing clouds and a high near 72°F. South wind will be 6-8 mph and a 40% chance of precipitation. On Wednesday night, showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11pm, with a low around 59°F. Southeast wind around 6mph will become northwest after midnight, with a 60% chance of precipitation. New rainfall of less than a tenth of an inch is expected, while higher amounts are possible in thunderstorms.

🚨 You need to know

The proposed apartment building at 901 N. Pitt Street in Old Town (via City of Alexandria)

An Old Town North property was officially sold in February, and its new owner plans to start construction of an eight-story mixed-use building with 250 multifamily units, an underground parking garage, a restaurant and an arts/cultural anchor on the ground floor, according to the Washington Business Journal.

The property was bought by an affiliate of Carr Properties in February for $15.4 million, according to city property records. The owner is named 901 N. Pitt Street, LLC, which is a mix of The Oliver Carr Company and Carr Holdings II LLC, and the company was granted a special use permit to develop on the property in 2022.

The building on the 69,000 square-foot property was built in the 1980s, and the new building would grow to 250,000 square feet. One tenant, nonprofit dance studio CityDance has signed a lease for space in the building, according to the Washington Business Journal. Additionally, Carr Properties is developing the project with SK+I Architecture and interior designer Streetsense LLC.

📈 Tuesday’s most read

The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 16, 2024.

  1. Man held without bond after dog allegedly executed in West End apartment (1121 views)
  2. One-third of Alexandria’s workforce works from home (923 views)
  3. Local organization forms to push Alexandria back to district/ward elections (686 views)

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.