What an eventful week in Alexandria.
Thursday, March 11, marked the one-year anniversary of the coronavirus pandemic in Alexandria. As the vaccine rollout slowly improves, the most recent news is the allowance of restaurant workers to get the vaccine. Just over 38,000 doses have been administered in the city, and of that 14,661 residents have been fully vaccinated. The city also wants 80% of residents vaccinated by July 31.
Alexandria Sheriff Dana Lawhorne also announced that he will not seek reelection this fall, bringing an end to his 43-year law enforcement career. Lawhorne’s protege Sean Casey is now running for the seat in the June 8 Democratic primary.
Criticism against the proposed renovation of the Taylor Run Stream continued this week, and even City Councilwoman Amy Jackson has decided to join residents in opposition.
More than 220 people participated in our poll this week on school resource officers. More than half of respondents said that ACPS should hire more SROs, 30% said the program should be eliminated and 11% believe SROs should only work part time.
In case you missed them, here are some other important stories:
- Child Safe After Being Left in Car That Was Briefly Stolen in Arlandria
- Alexandria Takes Stock of Millions in Lost Sales Tax Revenue
- Beyer Throws Weight Behind Labor Unions as Council Punts Collective Bargaining Debate
- Civic Activist Bill Rossello Focusing on Overhauling City Government in City Council Campaign
- ‘Groundswell’ Art Installation Pays Homage to History, Coming to Waterfront Park this Mont
Our top stories this week:
- Inova to Launch New Vaccine Clinic Inside Revamped Victory Center
- Battle Royale: Princess Street Development Duel Returns to City This Month
- Just In: Captain Sean Casey is Running for Alexandria Sheriff
- Alexandria Police Arrest Seven People and Seize Drugs, Guns and Cash
- Development Questions Remain for New Braddock West Project Headed to City Council
- City Could Help Turn Hotels Emptied by Coronavirus Into Affordable Housing
- Just Listed in Alexandria
- Do You Like the Suggested Names for T.C. Williams and Matthew Maury?
- A Year Late, Contractor Eyes Spring Completion for King Street Metro Access Improvement Project
- Superintendent Proposes New Names for T.C. Williams High School and Matthew Maury Elementary
- Councilwoman Amy Jackson Argues With School Board Over MacArthur Elementary Construction Schedule
Have a safe weekend!
Thousands of art lovers will have to set aside their plans this weekend, as Del Ray’s annual Art On The Avenue has been postponed due to Tropical Storm Ian. Ian…
A number of suspected MS-13 gang members have been arrested the last several months for allegedly selling crack/cocaine, marijuana and firing gunshots in the Arlandria area. The suspects allegedly sold…
Enjoy live music and pop up beer garden at the Happy Hour Concert Series starting tonight at 6 p.m.
The Electra America Hospitality Group (EAHG) has filed an application to open a new cafe with outdoor seating at Hotel AKA — an Old Town North Holiday Inn replacement at…
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
At Nova Fencing Club, the beginner fencing classes are designed for students of all levels – including students who have never fenced before.
If you’re looking for a fun physical activity that improves your fitness, critical thinking and rapid decision making skills then come join us!
There’s no better time than now to give us a try – and take part in one of the fastest growing sports. Our highly educated, professional coaching staff includes Virginia’s only Maitre d’Armes, a member of USA Fencing’s coaching team, former members of the USA National Team, and our Head Coach, who has produced national champions.
Register for either our Youth Beginner Fencing Classes (7-12) or our Teen & Adult Beginner Fencing Classes (13 to Adult) and become a part of the club that champions call home.
Join the City of Alexandria and Arlington County’s Initiative to Rethink Energy at our first ever electric vehicle (EV) and sustainable technologies showcase! Get inspired by seeing a variety of electric cars, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, police cars, buses, trucks and