It was quite a week in Alexandria.
The week was full of big news. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg announced her candidacy against Mayor Justin Wilson for the June 8 Democratic primary, and ALXnow has learned that the Del Ray Business Association is planning a debate.
One of our favorite stories this week was on Tobi, the Alexandria dog without front legs who needed a new $2,350 wheelchair. Within a day of posting the story, Tobi’s GoFundMe goal was reached. The fundraiser has since raised $3,590, and Tobi’s owner says the excess funds will be donated to help another disabled pet get a wheelchair.
As of noon Friday, our unscientific poll on mayoral candidates had 1,111 votes, but only 537 views. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg trailed by a large percentage for the first several hours, but she later received a surge of votes that led to her getting 589 votes, or 53%, to Wilson’s 432 votes, or 39%. Republican candidate Annetta Catchings, who also announced her mayoral candidacy this week, got 90 votes, or 8%.
Other important stories:
- Bennett-Parker says Grandmother, not campaign for Delegate, behind move to 45th District in December
- Police review board moves forward, but questions about confidentiality remain
- School Board hopes for pool at Alexandria high school dampened by budget concerns
- New federal funding could help combat flooding, among other city priorities
ALXnow’s top stories:
- BREAKING: Man rams car into Verizon Store near Potomac Yard
- Waterfront Commission tries to avert ‘Disneyland-like’ development in Old Town
- Flight attendant Annetta Catchings running for Alexandria mayor as a Republican
- Chadwicks going double-decker on outdoor dining at upcoming BAR meeting
- BREAKING: Former Mayor Silberberg rematch as she enters democratic primary for mayor
- City Councilman Seifeldein quits meeting after argument with mayor
- Three men tied up and robbed in West End
- GoFundMe launched to get wheelchair for Tobi, an Alexandria dog with no front legs
- Just Sold in Alexandria: March 23, 2021
- Republican J.D. Maddox announces run for 45th District seat
- Al’s Steak House to endure under new management
Have a safe weekend!