It was quite a week in Alexandria.
The week was full of big news. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg announced her candidacy against Mayor Justin Wilson for the June 8 Democratic primary, and ALXnow has learned that the Del Ray Business Association is planning a debate.
One of our favorite stories this week was on Tobi, the Alexandria dog without front legs who needed a new $2,350 wheelchair. Within a day of posting the story, Tobi’s GoFundMe goal was reached. The fundraiser has since raised $3,590, and Tobi’s owner says the excess funds will be donated to help another disabled pet get a wheelchair.
As of noon Friday, our unscientific poll on mayoral candidates had 1,111 votes, but only 537 views. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg trailed by a large percentage for the first several hours, but she later received a surge of votes that led to her getting 589 votes, or 53%, to Wilson’s 432 votes, or 39%. Republican candidate Annetta Catchings, who also announced her mayoral candidacy this week, got 90 votes, or 8%.
Other important stories:
- Bennett-Parker says Grandmother, not campaign for Delegate, behind move to 45th District in December
- Police review board moves forward, but questions about confidentiality remain
- School Board hopes for pool at Alexandria high school dampened by budget concerns
- New federal funding could help combat flooding, among other city priorities
ALXnow’s top stories:
- BREAKING: Man rams car into Verizon Store near Potomac Yard
- Waterfront Commission tries to avert ‘Disneyland-like’ development in Old Town
- Flight attendant Annetta Catchings running for Alexandria mayor as a Republican
- Chadwicks going double-decker on outdoor dining at upcoming BAR meeting
- BREAKING: Former Mayor Silberberg rematch as she enters democratic primary for mayor
- City Councilman Seifeldein quits meeting after argument with mayor
- Three men tied up and robbed in West End
- GoFundMe launched to get wheelchair for Tobi, an Alexandria dog with no front legs
- Just Sold in Alexandria: March 23, 2021
- Republican J.D. Maddox announces run for 45th District seat
- Al’s Steak House to endure under new management
Have a safe weekend!
Tabletop gaming shop coming to Old Town North — “Large ‘Coming Soon!’ signs are up in the windows of a store at the corner of Wythe and North Washington streets —…
A last-minute disagreement between city staff and developers of a new development in Carlyle raised concerns about fairness in the city’s development process. There was little indication before the City…
Alexandria Hyundai has been taking up space on three blocks of Mount Vernon Avenue for 21 years, and owner Kevin Reilly is submitting a plan to be able to stay…
Bonaventure has released its second concept design for its mixed use shopping center proposal for 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue in the middle of Del Ray. Bonaventure made a few big…