It was quite a week in Alexandria.
The week was full of big news. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg announced her candidacy against Mayor Justin Wilson for the June 8 Democratic primary, and ALXnow has learned that the Del Ray Business Association is planning a debate.
One of our favorite stories this week was on Tobi, the Alexandria dog without front legs who needed a new $2,350 wheelchair. Within a day of posting the story, Tobi’s GoFundMe goal was reached. The fundraiser has since raised $3,590, and Tobi’s owner says the excess funds will be donated to help another disabled pet get a wheelchair.
As of noon Friday, our unscientific poll on mayoral candidates had 1,111 votes, but only 537 views. Former Mayor Allison Silberberg trailed by a large percentage for the first several hours, but she later received a surge of votes that led to her getting 589 votes, or 53%, to Wilson’s 432 votes, or 39%. Republican candidate Annetta Catchings, who also announced her mayoral candidacy this week, got 90 votes, or 8%.
Other important stories:
- Bennett-Parker says Grandmother, not campaign for Delegate, behind move to 45th District in December
- Police review board moves forward, but questions about confidentiality remain
- School Board hopes for pool at Alexandria high school dampened by budget concerns
- New federal funding could help combat flooding, among other city priorities
ALXnow’s top stories:
- BREAKING: Man rams car into Verizon Store near Potomac Yard
- Waterfront Commission tries to avert ‘Disneyland-like’ development in Old Town
- Flight attendant Annetta Catchings running for Alexandria mayor as a Republican
- Chadwicks going double-decker on outdoor dining at upcoming BAR meeting
- BREAKING: Former Mayor Silberberg rematch as she enters democratic primary for mayor
- City Councilman Seifeldein quits meeting after argument with mayor
- Three men tied up and robbed in West End
- GoFundMe launched to get wheelchair for Tobi, an Alexandria dog with no front legs
- Just Sold in Alexandria: March 23, 2021
- Republican J.D. Maddox announces run for 45th District seat
- Al’s Steak House to endure under new management
Have a safe weekend!
A Washington, D.C. man is behind bars after allegedly stealing a car from a lot in an industrial area of the city and fleeing from police. The incident occurred shortly…
Fall Arrives at MGM National Harbor — “The casino and resort is celebrating autumn with the flavors, florals and magic of the season.” [Alexandria Living Magazine] It’s Tuesday — Partly cloudy…
The City of Alexandria is planning to work with a local non-profit to quantify the demand for after-school activities. At an upcoming City Council meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 28, the…
The City of Alexandria is looking into building a pedestrian bridge over I-395 to connect the Landmark Mall site to neighborhoods west of the highway. Last week, the Transportation Commission…
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
At Nova Fencing Club, the beginner fencing classes are designed for students of all levels – including students who have never fenced before.
If you’re looking for a fun physical activity that improves your fitness, critical thinking and rapid decision making skills then come join us!
There’s no better time than now to give us a try – and take part in one of the fastest growing sports. Our highly educated, professional coaching staff includes Virginia’s only Maitre d’Armes, a member of USA Fencing’s coaching team, former members of the USA National Team, and our Head Coach, who has produced national champions.
Register for either our Youth Beginner Fencing Classes (7-12) or our Teen & Adult Beginner Fencing Classes (13 to Adult) and become a part of the club that champions call home.
Join the City of Alexandria and Arlington County’s Initiative to Rethink Energy at our first ever electric vehicle (EV) and sustainable technologies showcase! Get inspired by seeing a variety of electric cars, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, police cars, buses, trucks and