December the blue pit bull mix, is looking for a new home in Alexandria.
The two-year-old cuddle bug is a fan of long walks and playtime in the yard.
“December has lived with other dogs, and if you have other dogs and are interested in meeting her, we’d love to arrange time for a doggy meet-and-greet,” said AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter.
Hardter added, “December’s favorite thing is to give hugs and snuggles to the people she loves. She had a photo shoot earlier this week, but was too busy cuddling to worry about whether the photographer was getting her best side. Luckily, they are all her best sides.”
You can schedule time to meet December either in-person or virtually at AlexandriaAnimals.org/Adopt-
Photo via AWLA
East Coast-based pet store chain Loyal Companion is planning on opening its doors in Old Town North on Feb. 25.
“We’re a one-stop-shop for pet wellness,” Loyal Companion said on its website. “Stop by and wow your pet with our selection of toys, treats, food, supplements, expert advice and grooming all under one roof.”
Loyal Companion, at 923 N. St. Asaph Street, is located in the Gables Old Town North/EDEN property, and neighboring businesses include Oak Steakhouse, Hinata Sushi Bar and Grill and Cut and Shave Barbershop.
The company launched 52 locations in 2019, including nine in Virginia. Loyal Companion is comprised of seven independent pet retailers that converged into a pet store that provides spa and grooming treatments.
From March 3 – March 7, the store will offer free nail trims, treats and advice. It will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day every day of the week.
Sure, the Animal Welfare Leagues latest adoptees Cola and Princess Peach enjoy each other’s company, but they don’t need to be adopted together.
Cola, a six-year-old yellow-bellied slider, and Princess Peach, a seven-year-old red-bellied slider, would reportedly be happy to go to their new homes individually, or, if someone is interested, together.
“Princess Peach and Cola are pets who have always lived their lives indoors, and are looking for indoor living in their new homes too,” AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter told ALXnow. “Turtles like Cola and Princess Peach can live 20 to 30 years when well-cared for.”
Hardter said that the best environment for the turtles is a 90 gallon tank, which give them space to swim as well as a climbing area to bask in the light of a heat source.
If you’re looking for more information on turtles and how to bring one into your home, contact [email protected]. To schedule an appointment to meet with either of these turtles, visit AlexandriaAnimals.org/Adopt-
Photos via AWLA
Odie is all about domesticity, and the 10-year-old gray and white domestic short-haired cat is looking for a new home in Alexandria.
The affectionate feline is currently up for adoption with the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
“Odie is so sensational at being a cat that he’s pretty sure you won’t need any other cats, once you have him in your life,” AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter told ALXnow. “Odie is pretty easy to please. All he needs is some cuddle time with his best friend and treats as a bonus.”
If you’d like to learn more about Odie and schedule time to meet him either in person or virtually, visit AlexandriaAnimals.org/Adopt-
Odie has been front declawed and can be seen in the video below.
Photos via AWLA
Like her name, Shy the American rabbit is sweet and a little timid — until you get to know her. The 19-month-old is the latest adoptee with the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
“At just 2 pounds, this petite gal looks like a baby, but she is fully grown and looking to find her new family,” said AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter. “Like most rabbits, Shy may be a little, well, shy, at first, but once she gets to know you, prepare for full bunny cuddles.”
“Goldy’s new year’s resolution is to eat more food,” AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter told ALXnow. “This gentleman loves all kinds of food, and he hopes you’ll help him with his new year’s goals by providing him treats whenever he meows for them.”
Goldy’s adoption fees have already been paid by a generous donor. He is currently living with a foster family, and anyone interested in learning more about him should email [email protected] or call 703-746-4774.
Incidentally, Chaquira and Princesa, the special bonded senior Shepherds we highlighted just before Christmas have been adopted.
“It really means the world to everyone at the AWLA that these two (and more than 130 animals last month) are spending 2021 with new families,” Hardter said.
Photos via AWLA
Nine-year-old Chaquira and her eight-year-old daughter Princesa are inseparable, and the pair are looking for a new home via the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
AWLA took in Chaquira and Princesa with 12 other dogs from the Florida-based True and Faithful Pet Rescue Mission.
“Senior dogs like Princesa and Chaquira have spent their whole lives giving love to others,” said AWLA Executive Director Stella Hanly. “They deserve just as much love in their older years.”
Princesa is reportedly the more outgoing of the two dogs, although treats and ear scratches have proven to quickly bring Chaquira around.
“They are sweet, curious girls who have taken in stride the many changes they’ve experienced over the last month,” AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter said. “We know that the person or people lucky enough to adopt them will receive double the love and gratitude from their new canine family members.”
Anyone interested in learning more about these two should email [email protected]
Photos via AWLA
Buying an existing business can be easier than starting from scratch.
The latest listings on BizBuySell show a number of businesses for sale in and around Alexandria. Many are restaurants, which have been heavily impacted by the pandemic.
The website aggregates numerous business sale listings. The names and locations are generally left out, but there are exceptions.
Reasons for selling, when provided, typically do not mention economic hardship, but more often involve the owner retiring or not having time to actively run the business.
Here are some that are currently listed:
- Alexandria’s Premier Salon and Spa — “Hair salon and spa, established in 2011, with huge clientele and fantastic reviews. State of the art equipment. Bright, inviting atmosphere, with contemporary decor. Surrounded by highly-frequented restaurants and shops in a well populated residential neighborhood. High-street visibility, easy access, high pedestrian and vehicle traffic, with ample parking.”
- Coffee Cafe in Alexandria — “Coffee cafe in heavy traffic shopping center of Alexandria VA. This coffee shop was established in 2019 and has tons of potential. All the furniture, fixtures and equipment are in perfect condition. Can be converted to fit most menus. The current owner has decided to get out of the food/drink industry and go back to his full time profession. We are now looking for a new owner to take this turn key establishment to the next level. Priced for quick sale.”
- New Laundromats for Sale — “Two New Laundromats for Sale in Manassas, VA + Alexandria VA. One is recently renovated other is completely new. Brand new laundromat in a great location! 21st century laundromat with card system, customized folding tables, modern design, with high-powered energy efficient machines. Location is about 4000 SF located near many current and upcoming apartment complexes. Long-term 10 tear lease with 5 year option.”
- FAST growth Very Profitable Full Service Plumbing Co — “This high-end company operates in the new build out market as well as the repair and replacement and service markets. Sales have continuously grown over the past 3 years with no signs of stopping. This fully staffed and equipped company would be a great addition to any established plumbing ,HVAC, even electrical or general contractor that wants to add a large revenue stream to their existing business. They have a Proven system in place to carry on this growth.”
- Profitable Dry-Cleaners for Sale in Northern Virginia — “This dry cleaner is well known in the area for high quality and customer service. This family-owned business has been serving the community for over 30 years at the current location. The retail space has recently been remodeled by the landlord. The business is located in a busy area with heavy foot traffic. The equipment as well as the store itself has been meticulously maintained. The seller is very motivated to sell the business and will accept reasonable offers.”
- Absentee-Owner Gourmet Pizza & Italian With Loyal Following — “This high-visibility restaurant has long been a destination and neighborhood favorite with locals – it continues to enjoy a following as a gourmet take-out option for pizza and all Italian cuisine favorites. Purchased in 2019 as a decades-old chef-owned establishment, the new owner invested in a complete turn around, nearly doubling sales and converting the business model to absentee ownership. Owner has refrained from applying for PPP or other SBA loans so that new owner might be able to take advantage of those opportunities.”
- Beautiful Hair & Nail Spa for Sale/ Price reduced — “Great opportunity!!! Serious Inquiries only. Beautiful and well established Hair & Nail Spa for Sale in a very busy shopping center. Seller is retiring after many successful years in the business. Beautiful & Very efficiently designed. 6 years old Spa. Established, loyal customers. Reasonable rent & excellent location. 10 Hair stations, 5 Dryers, 3 Shampoo stations, 8 Manicure Tables, 8 Pedicure chairs, 3 Waxing rooms, 2 Facial Rooms, 1 Body scrub. There is plenty of room to expand. Room to grow by improving social media and other marketing and adding massage service.”
- Long-Standing Italian Restaurant for Sale — “Tons of loyal customers already in place at this turn-key opportunity. Lending available and you can be approved in just two business days on this his beautifully built-out location with sales of $404,000 and Beer/Wine license in place.”
- Established Asian Fusion Restaurant — “Super Busy main street at Old Town Alexandria. Has been in operation for 18 years, established royal customers. Has huge potential to increase the volume if adding catering business. Business gross sales didn’t get impact by Covid.”
- Coin Laundry/Laundromats — “No Exception, Non-Disclosure must be signed in person meeting, No emailing signing. We can meet at anywhere in Fairfax county to sign NDA with appointment.”
- Pet Grooming Business — “Well-established pet grooming business for sale!”
- Sandwich Shop/Deli — “Substantial net positive cash flow after 31 years in business. Excellent old town location. Extended Lease. Business currently operates 6 days per week for breakfast and lunch until 6 so opportunity to extend hours and days under current SUP. No alcohol but license possible. Delivery and growing catering business add to profits. Accountant attested books. Must have a friendly personality to be successful. Employees likely to stay. NDA required for confidentiality.”
- Mexican Restaurant & Bar Can Convert MRB VA 876 — “This Profitable Mexican Restaurant for Sale has been open and operating profitably for eight years. The location is on a high traffic road and surrounded by residential. This is a turnkey situation on a restaurant that has been grossing in excess of $840,000 annually with profits to an absentee owner of $80,000 annually. Nice full service bar. Outdoor Seating!! Great opportunity for a new on hand owner/operator to take this business to the next level. MUST SEE.”
- Auto Garage in Landmark Area — “OWNER FINANCING!! Auto repair sales only. 3 technicians. VA Safety/Emissions Inspection. Located in the I-395/Landmark Corridor. Business value at $325K and Real Estate value at $1,850,000.00.”
- Specialty Gift & Souvenir Boutique in the Heart of Old Town Alexandria — “Unique opportunity to own a specialty gift and souvenir shop in the heart of the Old Town Alexandria. The boutique is located in a high traffic part of Old Town and has been a destination shopping destination to both locals and tourists for decades.”
See more Alexandria listings here.
The Canada-based pet store chain announced last month that it was shuttering its 358 locations in the U.S. due to the impact of COVID-19.
Staffers at the Arlandria location told ALXnow that they are waiting for updates from management on when exactly the store will close, and some are even expecting Christmas Eve (Thursday, Dec. 24) to be their last day in business.
“(A)ll stores will be closed by December 29,” Pet Valu replied to a customer on Facebook. “(P)lease call ahead to your local store for more information and for store hours.”
The store is offering sales of 50% to 70% off remaining merchandise. Even the fixtures are for sale.
“The Pet Valu U.S. team is proud to have met the needs of our devoted pet lover customers in the U.S. for more than 25 years,” Jamie Gould, Pet Valu, Inc.’s newly appointed Chief Restructuring Officer, said in a press release. “However, the Company’s stores have been significantly impacted by the protracted COVID-19-related restrictions. After a thorough review of all available alternatives, we made the difficult but necessary decision to commence this orderly wind down.”
Pet Valu at 3819 Mount Vernon Avenue is open Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
If you want to find the bright side of things, a little bit of Church could help. And don’t worry — we’re talking about the eight-year-old tabby that’s up for adoption through the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
“Church has an adorable little tongue that’s often sticking out, making every day with Church a #tongueouttuesday,” AWLA spokesperson Gina Hardter told ALXnow in an email. “Her hobbies enjoy lounging in bed, being pet (especially in bed) and watching visitors and friends (from her bed).”
Church also loves tuna, Hardter said, and will rub her head up against you until you share.
Incidentally, the AWLS just released an infographic to help keep animals safe this winter. Tips include keeping pets inside during freezing temperatures, wiping off their paws after shortened walks, and giving them warm clothes to wear.
If you are interested in learning more about Church or scheduling time to meet with her virtually or in-person, visit AlexandriaAnimals.org/Adopt-