It was a busy week in Alexandria, and there is plenty to talk about.
The city is moving forward with phase three of reopening its economy on July 1, and the news comes as the death toll from the coronavirus moved up to 50 and the number of cases steadily rise.
It also looks like the upcoming Alexandria City Public School school year and city services will continue to be impacted until the virus is held at bay, and school and city staff are developing plans to stagger teleworking and in-person schedules for students and staff alike.
Restaurants are reopening like never before, which is to say that customers are cautiously welcomed as Health Department restrictions are slowly lifted and many establishments have expanded their outdoor seating.
Here are the top 11 most-read articles this week in Alexandria.
- Del Ray Pizza Restaurant Converts Parking Deck Into Tropical Oasis Themed Bar
- COVID-19 Cases Steadily Increase as Alexandria Releases Phase Three Reopening Guidelines
- Large Residential Development in Braddock Goes to Planning Commission Tomorrow
- Alexandria Now Has 50 COVID-19 Deaths, Cases Climbing by Double Digits Daily
- East Eisenhower Avenue Project Returns With A New Senior Living Component
- Students Likely to Rotate School Attendance When ACPS Reopens
- Alexandria Preps for Phase 3 Reopening on July 1
- Lights On: Two Nineteen Restaurant Reopening Today in Old Town
- Developers Take Another Crack at Converting North Old Town Office to Housing
- Housing Affordability and Cost of Living Get Low Rating in Community Livability Report
- Inova Alexandria Hospital Now Treating 20+ Coronavirus Patients
Feel free to discuss these or other topics in the comments. Have a safe weekend!
Staff photo by James Cullum
What an absorbing week in Alexandria. Just as the ball gets rolling with reopening and loosened restrictions, the pandemic rears its ugly head. With coronavirus transmission levels climbing, Alexandria is…
A new state grant could help fund the city’s expensive, state-mandated RiverRenew project and offset some of the sewer rate increases for Alexandrians. According to a press release, Alexandria Renew…
As it was with the decision to reopen schools, Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) is a little behind its neighbors in deciding whether or not faculty and students will be…
Featured in the latest Just Listed in Alexandria is a 3 BD/2.5 BA home with a fully fenced backyard and stone patio. Explore more of this listing at the open house this Sunday from 1-3 p.m.