There are now 2,236 cases of COVID-19, an increase of nine cases since yesterday, according to the Virginia Department of Health. The last fatality due to the virus was reported on Saturday and the death toll stands at 49.
The news comes as the city released Phase Three guidelines for reopening yesterday. Under the new rules, limits on social gathering will increase from 50 to 250 people; swimming pools will be allowed to open at 75% occupancy; gyms and fitness centers can open indoors at 75% capacity and recreation and entertainment venues can open at 50% capacity. Summer camps, however, will stay closed.
The city’s health department is also recommending that residents are safest at home.
“If you must leave home, you are required to wear a face covering when inside buildings,” the city advised in a release. “Please keep at least 6 feet of distance from others whenever possible. Your neighbors and loved ones are counting on you to stop the spread of COVID-19.”
There are nine new cases of COVID-19 since yesterday, and the numbers have steadily increased since the city entered into the second phase of reopening on June 12. There have been 108 new cases of the virus in the city since that date.
It is not clear how many residents have recovered since the first case was announced on March 11, and the latest fatality was reported on Saturday, June 20.
Here is a breakdown of new cases since Alexandria entered into Phase 2:
- June 12 — Cases increase to 2,128
- June 13 — Cases increase to 2,134
- June 14 — Cases increase to 2,151
- June 15 — Cases increase to 2,160
- June 16 — Cases increase to 2,168
- June 17 — Cases increase to 2,175
- June 18 — Cases increase to 2,186
- June 19 — Cases increase to 2,198
- June 20 — Cases increase to 2,217 (Fatalities now at 49)
- June 21 — Cases increase to 2,227
- June 22 — Cases increase to 2,236
COVID-19 Age and Sex Breakdown
Senior citizens have been severely affected by the virus, and residents above the age of 50 make up all but one of the fatalities.
Statewide, there have been 1,620 reported deaths, and 1,517 of those deaths are confirmed as COVID-related, according to VDH. There are also now 58,465 cases (55,949 confirmed) and 5,869 hospitalizations (including 32 probable cases).
In Alexandria, there are 1,144 females with the virus (with 27 deaths) and 1,083 males (with 22 deaths) who tested positive for COVID-19 in the city. The sex of nine cases was not reported.
- 80+ — 22 deaths, 86 cases, 28 hospitalizations
- 70-79 — 15 deaths, 100 cases, 37 hospitalizations
- 60-69 — Two deaths, 190 cases, 44 hospitalizations
- 50-59 — Nine deaths, 293 cases, 47 hospitalizations
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 413 cases, 35 hospitalizations
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 524 cases, 28 hospitalizations
- 20-29 — One death, 338 cases, seven hospitalizations
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 159 cases, three hospitalizations
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 122 cases, two hospitalizations
- Missing — 11 cases not listed by age
Photo via Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash
It’s been another week bookended with violence in Alexandria’s West End. On Saturday, a man was shot in the Landmark area during a suspected carjacking. The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries….
Alexandrians should brace for a stormy weekend. Rain is likely to kick off tonight after 11 p.m. and there’s a good chance it will continue through the weekend as a…
There were no injuries or arrests after gunfire was reported in the West End early Friday morning — a separate incident from the other West End shooting this morning where…
A 2 BD/1.5 BA home with refinished floors, renovated bathroom and fenced backyard is included in Just Listed.
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,