What a busy week in Alexandria. Here’s the rundown.
Alexandria City Public Schools reopened their doors to full-time in-person instruction on Tuesday, and there have been a few hiccups. On Friday, we published a video taken of a brawl inside Alexandria City High School, and a teenager was hit by a car while walking home from school in Del Ray on Thursday.
In our poll this week, we asked if readers agree with a proposed 5 cent tax on plastic bags. Out of more than 900 votes, 62% said it shouldn’t be implemented and 38% said it should.
- Tales of regret and hope win in creative writing contest at the Alexandria Jail
- Report: Massive Oakville Triangle project secures financing
- Alexandria man convicted for possessing child porn and violating parole
- Del Ray park moving forward with lead artist chosen
- French Twist: Alexandria’s sister city committee wants to revolutionize membership
- School Board Member Michelle Rief praises ACPS COVID response in reelection bid
- Alexandria woman scammed of $15K by ‘friend’ with compromised Facebook account
- Street repaving and curb repairs underway in Old Town this week and next
- $50K fundraiser launched after sewer pipe bursts in Arlandria preschool
- Alexandria to consider imposing 5 cent tax on plastic bags
- Juvenile stabbed in West End Sunday night
- Alexandria man arrested for beating up ex-girlfriend in Old Town North
- Fox put George Washington Middle School into a lock-in today
- Design realities could conflict with promises to speed up stormwater improvements in Alexandria
- City breaks ground on new broadband network
- Poll: Do you support the proposed 5 cent plastic bag tax?
- This Alexandria gym manager went rogue and launched a personal training business
- Alexandria kicks off Restaurant Week tomorrow
- Alexandria sees huge spike in COVID-19 cases in August, another death
- Poll: Have you been impacted by flooding in Alexandria?
- New Normal: ACPS fully reopens for first time since pandemic started
- Evolving COVID-19 decisions loom as Alexandria City Public Schools fully reopen next Tuesday
Have a safe weekend!
The Fort Ward Museum is planning to reopen next weekend with a live cannon fire demonstration to kick things off. While many of Alexandria’s museums and historic have reopened over…
The U.S. Department of Labor has filed an administrative complaint against a janitorial government contractor operating in Alexandria for discriminating against Black and white job applicants in favor of Hispanic…
Just Sold this week features a historic home on a half-acre lot in the heart of Old Town, complete with “lush grounds” and steps from the Mt. Vernon Trail.
This weekend, the Alexandria City Council unanimously approved a new five-cent tax on plastic bags — though with some grumbling that Arlington had beat them to the punch by a…