It’s Memorial Day weekend in Alexandria, and it’s also a short work week for ALXnow.
Yes, we’re taking a quick breather by taking off most of tomorrow (Friday, May 28).
Not to worry. We’re still covering tonight’s mayoral debate between Mayor Justin Wilson and former Mayor Allison Silberberg at 7 p.m. This will be the fourth and final candidate conversation hosted by the Seminary Ridge Civic Association, and our story will be published on Friday morning.
Our top post this week is about Hilco Redevelopment Partners, which is planning to host guided tours of the Potomac River Generating Station (PRGS) site in Old Town North. The tours will be held on June 4 and 5, and the property is being planned for a mixed-use development.
On a sad note, former Virginia Senator John Warner passed away this week at his home in Old Town. He was 94, and is being recognized around the country as a conservative icon from a bygone age of political cordiality. Also, on Sunday, former Alexandria Delegate Richard R.G. Hobson died.
And local businesses are adapting to this Friday’s easing of COVID restrictions throughout Virginia. In Alexandria, the Health Department is launching the new ALX Promise Gold accreditation program for businesses to complete in the days ahead.
- City Council candidate Sarah Bagley wants to be a voice for Alexandria women
- City Council candidate Kirk McPike says he wants to bridge divisions with community conversations
- City Council candidates talk Seminary Road Diet, transparency and ward representation (Part 3)
- Homegrown Restaurant Group gives employees raise to $15 an hour, will ease COVID restrictions at 6 restaurants
- Ownership of Landmark’s streets could make a big difference down the road
- Poll: Do you agree with adding a pool to the city’s high school expansion?
- Alexandria private school to temporarily move into Old Town church
- Alexandria makes a splash with aquatics reopening announcement
- New private academy in Old Town headed to Planning Commission
- Alexandria juveniles arrested for gun possession
- Developer offers tours of abandoned Alexandria power plant before demolition
- Amazon Fresh supermarket planned for former Shopper’s Food Warehouse in Potomac Yard
- Photos: More than half of the Potomac Yard Metro Station is complete
- School Board says swimming pool colocation a form of ‘reparations’ for Alexandria
- Go-go music star-turned Alexandria teacher ‘Sugar Bear’ in the spotlight after Oscars shoutout
- Here’s a list of restaurants and other businesses for sale in Alexandria
- Here’s a preview of what’s ahead for Alexandria’s post-pandemic economic development
- Catholic Charities hopes to turn vacant Carlyle restaurant into workforce training kitchen
- Here’s the order that City Council candidates will appear on the ballot for the June 8 democratic primary
- Former Alexandria Delegate Richard R.G. Hobson dies
- Alexandria Police investigating knife fight, prostitution and drugs at West End hotel
Have a safe weekend!