It’s Memorial Day weekend in Alexandria, and it’s also a short work week for ALXnow.
Yes, we’re taking a quick breather by taking off most of tomorrow (Friday, May 28).
Not to worry. We’re still covering tonight’s mayoral debate between Mayor Justin Wilson and former Mayor Allison Silberberg at 7 p.m. This will be the fourth and final candidate conversation hosted by the Seminary Ridge Civic Association, and our story will be published on Friday morning.
Our top post this week is about Hilco Redevelopment Partners, which is planning to host guided tours of the Potomac River Generating Station (PRGS) site in Old Town North. The tours will be held on June 4 and 5, and the property is being planned for a mixed-use development.
On a sad note, former Virginia Senator John Warner passed away this week at his home in Old Town. He was 94, and is being recognized around the country as a conservative icon from a bygone age of political cordiality. Also, on Sunday, former Alexandria Delegate Richard R.G. Hobson died.
And local businesses are adapting to this Friday’s easing of COVID restrictions throughout Virginia. In Alexandria, the Health Department is launching the new ALX Promise Gold accreditation program for businesses to complete in the days ahead.
- City Council candidate Sarah Bagley wants to be a voice for Alexandria women
- City Council candidate Kirk McPike says he wants to bridge divisions with community conversations
- City Council candidates talk Seminary Road Diet, transparency and ward representation (Part 3)
- Homegrown Restaurant Group gives employees raise to $15 an hour, will ease COVID restrictions at 6 restaurants
- Ownership of Landmark’s streets could make a big difference down the road
- Poll: Do you agree with adding a pool to the city’s high school expansion?
- Alexandria private school to temporarily move into Old Town church
- Alexandria makes a splash with aquatics reopening announcement
- New private academy in Old Town headed to Planning Commission
- Alexandria juveniles arrested for gun possession
- Developer offers tours of abandoned Alexandria power plant before demolition
- Amazon Fresh supermarket planned for former Shopper’s Food Warehouse in Potomac Yard
- Photos: More than half of the Potomac Yard Metro Station is complete
- School Board says swimming pool colocation a form of ‘reparations’ for Alexandria
- Go-go music star-turned Alexandria teacher ‘Sugar Bear’ in the spotlight after Oscars shoutout
- Here’s a list of restaurants and other businesses for sale in Alexandria
- Here’s a preview of what’s ahead for Alexandria’s post-pandemic economic development
- Catholic Charities hopes to turn vacant Carlyle restaurant into workforce training kitchen
- Here’s the order that City Council candidates will appear on the ballot for the June 8 democratic primary
- Former Alexandria Delegate Richard R.G. Hobson dies
- Alexandria Police investigating knife fight, prostitution and drugs at West End hotel
Have a safe weekend!
A new authority responsible for promoting railways in Virginia said the only real solution to a degraded bridge over King Street is full replacement. The Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (VPRA)…
(Updated 2:30 p.m.) If you’ve got a Christmas list, there’s a mailbox in Alexandria dedicated to sending letters to Santa Claus and he’s responding. For the second straight year, Bill…
An Alexandria Police officer went undercover to assist in the arrest of a Baltimore man, who was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Monday (Nov. 28) for sex trafficking…
An upcoming zoning change could both cut through some development red tape and make funding for transportation projects more accessible after years of noncompliance from developers. The city is looking…
High School Senior Anxious about College Life? Our amazing graduate interns, Meghan Damminger and Kelly Charwat are starting an affordable College Readiness group in early 2023. Working out day and time. Please email [email protected] to set up a free consultation after the Thanksgiving holiday. And yes, Meghan and Kelly have a few openings for individual clients as well. Their rate is $45 per session. [www.sarahmoorelpc.com](http://www.sarahmoorelpc.com/?fbclid=IwAR3ZlfQnSLVRCc78HbTZutDYZErTctC_5pl- zt4eo_wjQo1gF6uHS–k32g).
Monarch Montessori School, located in the education center at 218 East Monroe Avenue, is currently enrolling infants and toddlers for the 2022-2023 school year. We’re an authentic Montessori preschool with a STEM emphasis!
We Offer: Arts & Crafts, Yoga & Pottery, Language & Early Literacy, Botany & Culinary Arts, Music Appreciation, Chorus & Language Immersion, Mathematics, Geography & Science, Practical Life & Culture.
Full-time, part-time, flexible and drop-in options!
Don’t miss this toe tapping celebration!
The Symphony Orchestra of Northern Virginia (SONOVA) presents “Brassy Jazzy Christmas,” a strong lineup of Christmas and holiday favorites. Inspired by Stan Keton’s album “A Merry Christmas!,” SONOVA has created a jazz band–substituting french
Join in Alexandria’s favorite Thanksgiving tradition- the 47th Turkey Trot 5 Mile Race. Alexandria’s favorite Thanksgiving morning tradition, the Alexandria Turkey Trot, returns to the streets of Del Ray on Thursday, November 24 at 9 a.m. In the spirit of