It’s the end of a busy week in Alexandria!
Our top story was the Del Ray car crash on Mount Vernon Avenue, and there’s some good news to report. The driver, who crashed her car due to a medical emergency, was sent home without any injuries the following day.
The city also experienced flooding after Thursday’s rainstorms, prompting the City Council to get an oral report on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stormwater management improvements. As reported, there have been more than a half dozen flood events in Alexandria this summer.
Council also received a report on the establishment of a community police review board, and sent it back for some additions. Namely, Council asked staff to include an option that would give the review board independent investigative authority, an action that prompted a police union to call the idea of the review board “superfluous.” Incidentally, crime stories are among the top articles read every week on ALXnow.
This was also the first week of the historic 2020-2021 school year, and with classes starting virtually it will be an altogether different experience than years past.
What stories impacted you this week? Let us know in the comments.
Here are our top stories this week in Alexandria.
- Driver Suffers Life Threatening Injuries in Del Ray Car Crash
- UPDATED: Flooding Reported in Parts of City After Heavy Rain
- Planning Commission Approves Density Compromise Despite Outrage from Civic Associations
- Video: Protestors Perform ‘Die-In’ Outside Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf’s Alexandria Home
- Arrest Made After Shots Fired in Old Town
- Police Investigating Public Indecency Incidents in Del Ray
- Police: Three Alexandria ABC Stores Broken Into, High-End Liquor Stolen
- Council to Vote on Requiring Face Masks in Alexandria
- Just Listed in Alexandria
- Hundreds in ‘Trumptilla’ Boat Parade Sail Past Alexandria
- Alexandria Woman Uninjured in Tuesday Carjacking at Gunpoint in Potomac Yard
Have a safe weekend!
Following new guidance from the Governor’s office and the CDC, the Torpedo Factory (105 N. Union Street) announced today that all visitors will be required to wear face masks. The…
A new report from the Office of Historic Alexandria outlined the fascinating and tumultuous lives of the Black residents who carved out a life for themselves in the city after…
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 7 BD/8 BA, one acre home located at 5075 Polk Avenue.
The Old Town Festival of Speed & Style, a celebration of eccentric mid-20th century vehicles, is scheduled to make a comeback this September. The event started in 2019 and was…