It was another busy week in Alexandria.
Our readers overwhelmingly responded to Sunday’s protest at the Alexandria home of acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, and the story has more than 380 comments. This week also saw its first homicide, which occurred in the West End, in addition to a number of crime events in the Braddock area.
Not included in our weekly list is late-breaking news on Friday that Alexandria City Public Schools want a virtual-only school year starting in September. Residents have been waiting throughout the summer for the school system to make up its mind, and ACPS has conducted numerous virtual chats with students, parents and staff over the last several weeks.
Here are our top stories this week in Alexandria.
- Activists Protest at Alexandria Home of Acting DHS Chief Chad Wolf
- BREAKING: Police Investigating Homicide in West End Residential Community
- Former APD Officer Peter Laboy Gets His Driver’s License Seven Years After Being Shot in the Head
- Just Listed in Alexandria
- Students and Residents Putting Daily Cover Over T.C. Williams High School Name
- BREAKING: Flooding Reported in Parts of City, AFD Responding to Multiple Emergency Calls
- Shots Fired Tuesday Night in Braddock Neighborhood
- Alexandria Delegate Wants City to Fire Officials or Police Who Espouse QAnon Theories
- Save the Tree Petition at T.C. Williams High School Garners Nearly 1,000 Signatures
- Man Injured in Violent Carjacking in Old Town
- COVID-19 Update: Deaths at 57, Case Count at 2,735 in Alexandria
Have a safe and fun weekend!
Staff photo by James Cullum
Alexandria’s Troy “The Transformer” Isley says it was a dream come true to box in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. Isley, a middleweight, won in his Olympic debut against Vitali…
The embattled Heritage project came within a hair’s breadth of being denied at the Board of Architectural Review‘s design review last week, and survived only on a last-minute deferral. Many…
A 30-year-old Alexandria woman was arrested last month and charged with making threats and domestic assault and battery against her roommate in the Landmark area. The suspect was booked and…
Moving with your dog(s)? Find tips to help alleviate their (and your) stress on the big day in the latest Ask McEnearney.