An Alexandria resident in their 50s reportedly died from COVID-19 over the weekend, marking the first death from the virus this month and putting the total death count at 57.
There are now or have been 2,735 cases of the virus in Alexandria, which is an increase of 176 cases since last Monday, July 20, according to the Virginia Department of Health. It had been nearly a month since the last reported fatality on June 29, and cases in the city surpassed the 2,500 mark on July 16 with 21 new cases.
The city is now advising residents to expect a phone call from the Alexandria Health Department if they had close contact with someone who is infected.
“Everyone must do their part to stop the spread: maintain at least 6 feet of distance from others, wear a mask, and carry and use hand sanitizer,” the city announced last Friday. “With a recent increase in cases, you are more likely to encounter someone who is infected. Be prepared to answer a call from the Alexandria Health Department in case you are identified as a close contact.”
There are now 2,082 COVID-related fatalities throughout Virginia, and there are or have been 86,072 cases.
Age and Sex Breakdown
There are or have been 1,408 women (with 30 deaths) and 1,319 men (with 27 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus.
- 80+ — 25 deaths, 95 cases
- 70-79 — 18 deaths, 107 cases
- 60-69 — Two deaths, 224 cases
- 50-59 — 11 deaths, 342 cases
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 507 cases
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 629 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 461 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 205 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 154 cases
- Missing — Eight cases not listed by age
There have been 21,054 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in Alexandria so far, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate shows a 5.6% infection rate of those tested. There have also been 3,369 antibody tests in Alexandria.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods. The following data has not been updated since July 15 by VDH.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 98 cases, 1,379 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 262 cases, 3,036 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 765 cases, 5,769 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 622 cases, 2,766 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 495 cases, 2,846 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 653 cases, 3,470 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 234 cases, 3,194 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash