There are now 57 reported coronavirus-related deaths in Alexandria, and there are now 2,317 cases in the city, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
The most recent death was reported on Saturday, June 27, and six additional fatalities that occurred in April and May were officially added to the death count on Friday, June 26.
The news comes as the Commonwealth prepares to enter into Phase 3 of reopening on Wednesday (July 1), and the city is recommending that residents continue to stay home, wash their hands and remain social distances.
COVID-19 Age and Sex Breakdown
It is not clear how many residents have recovered since the first case was announced on March 11. Senior citizens have been severely affected by the virus, and residents above the age of 50 make up all but one of the fatalities.
In Alexandria, there are 1,184 females with the virus (with 30 deaths) and 1,127 males (with 27 deaths) who tested positive for COVID-19 in the city. The sex of six cases was not reported.
- 80+ — 25 deaths, 89 cases, 28 hospitalizations
- 70-79 — 19 deaths, 101 cases, 38 hospitalizations
- 60-69 — Two deaths, 197 cases, 44 hospitalizations
- 50-59 — 10 deaths, 301 cases, 48 hospitalizations
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 429 cases, 37 hospitalizations
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 537 cases, 30 hospitalizations
- 20-29 — One death, 359 cases, eight hospitalizations
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 166 cases, three hospitalizations
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 127 cases, two hospitalizations
- Missing — 11 cases not listed by age
Statewide, there have been 1,740 reported deaths, and 1,635 of those deaths are confirmed as COVID-related, according to VDH. There are also 62,189 cases (59,522 confirmed) and 6,164 hospitalizations (including 36 probable cases).
There have been 14,874 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in Alexandria so far, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate shows a 5.7% infection rate of those tested. There have also been 2,273 antibody tests in Alexandria. Across Virginia, there have been 633,705 PCR tests administered with a seven-day positivity rate of 5.9% (and 68,305 antibody tests).
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304 and 22305 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 86 cases, 995 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 244 cases, 2,479 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 685 cases, 4,417 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 590 cases, 2,269 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 445 cases, 2,356 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 586 cases, 2,742 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 208 cases, 2,295 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
What a busy week in Alexandria. Our top story this week was on a juvenile who was shot outside the McDonald’s at the Bradlee Shopping Center on Tuesday, Sept. 21….
Kemal Kurspahic, managing editor of Alexandria-based The Connection Newspapers and acclaimed former editor-in-chief of Oslobodjenje, Sarajevo’s daily newspaper, died last week after a stroke, Connection Newspapers reported. Kurspahic, born Dec….
August Wilson’s ‘Fences‘ might just be one of the best productions that The Little Theatre of Alexandria has put on in years. The 1985 Pulitzer Prize-winning play is a close…
This week’s Just Listed spotlights a 1 BD/1 BA condo offered through the Alexandria Flexible Homeownership Assistance Program.