History was made this week in Alexandria.
Our top story was on Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson winning the Democratic primary on Tuesday, defeating former Mayor Allison Silberberg. Alexandria historically votes for democratic mayors, and Wilson faces off against Republican candidate Annetta Catchings in November.
Vice Mayor Elizabeth Bennett-Parker also unseated Del. Mark Levine for the Democratic nomination in Virginia’s 45th District seat in the House of Delegates. Levine also lost his bid for lieutenant governor.
The three incumbents running for City Council all made it through the primary, with City Councilman John Taylor Chapman receiving the most votes. The other candidates who made it, and will move on to the general election in November are Alyia Smith-Parker Gaskins, Councilwoman Amy Jackson, Councilman Canek Aguirre, Sarah Bagley and Kirk McPike.
This Saturday is will also see the final graduating class of T.C. Williams High School walk the stage before the school’s name is changed in July to Alexandria City High School.
Next Sunday is also Father’s Day, and a number of Alexandria businesses are offering unique specials.
- City Manager names Don Hayes as Alexandria’s Acting Police Chief
- City Council dives into funding swimming pool at Alexandria City High School
- Woman assaulted by mob and pepper-sprayed in Old Town North
- Alexandria Fire Department rescues woman from stalled car, Flash Flood Watch in effect
- Here’s how Alexandria is planning on spending its American Rescue Plan Act funding
- Alexandria Police officer jumps out of way of speeding car
- Shortened Alexandria Birthday celebration is still on for July 10
- Alexandria Police investigate ‘Zoom bombing’ of Jewish synagogue meeting
- Beatley Central Library reopens for Friday service — sort of
- Police announce progress investigating ‘shots fired’ incidents, recovering ghost guns
- Scholarship Fund of Alexandria awards $525K to T.C. Williams High School Class of 2021
- ACPS continuing free meals program throughout summer
- Alexandria struggles to close last 30 percent to vaccination goal
- Misha’s opens second coffee shop near Waterfront in Old Town
- BREAKING: Wilson wins Democratic mayoral primary, Silberberg concedes
- BREAKING: Alexandria Police Chief Michael Brown puts in his notice
- A rare glimpse inside Alexandria’s abandoned and overgrown GenOn power plant
- BREAKING: Bennett-Parker declares victory in 45th District race, Levine loses Delegate and Lieutenant Governor races
- Pride flags torn down outside City Hall and thrown into fountain at Market Square
- Alexandria Police Chief Michael Brown isn’t just retiring, he’s leaving the city altogether
- BREAKING: Incumbents hold on in Alexandria City Council Democratic primary
- Three incumbents and lots of newcomers running for Alexandria School Board this November
- Here’s how much it would cost to reverse the Seminary Road Diet
- Democratic primary settled in Alexandria, but underlying issues linger
- Critical Missing Person Alert issued for 13-year-old autistic boy
Have a safe weekend!