Alexandria City Public Schools will continue providing free meals this summer.
“Meals will be served on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays,” said Cynthia Hormel, the ACPS director of school nutrition services. “Each day, families will pick up two
days-worth of meals, with three on Friday to cover Saturday and Sunday.”
There will only be one holiday over the summer break — on July 5. Curbside breakfast and lunch deliveries and pop-up locations will be closed that day. The service will reopen on July 6 and all distribution sites will resume on July 7.
“Please know that if numbers drop at any ‘pop-up’ location at any point during the summer, we will re-evaluate continuing that service,” ACPS said on its website. “Families will be notified of changes.”
Hormel said free meals will be continued next school year, although the fate of curbside and pop-up distribution sites are yet to be determined.
“It is too early to say, but if there is an opportunity, we will continue to provide the (pop-up) service,” she said.
Hours of operation
- June 24 to July 2 — 7:30 a.m. to noon
- July 7 to July 30 — 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- August 2 to August 20 — 7:30 a.m. to noon
- Alexandria City High School (T.C. Williams High School)
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology
- William Ramsay Elementary School
- Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 IB School