It was another busy week in Alexandria.
There are less than three weeks before the June 8 democratic primary, which will determine the candidates for lieutenant governor, the 45th District in the House of Delegates, Alexandria Mayor and City Council.
Speaking of elections, this week we covered two election forums hosted by the Seminary Ridge Civic Association. Much of the conversations were focused on community engagement, colocating affordable housing on school grounds and the Seminary Road diet. Thursday night’s forum also introduced candidate Darryl Nirenberg, who is a lone Republican contender facing off against a mostly Democrat slate of candidates in November.
In our weekly poll, we tried to settle the appropriate name for the Parker-Gray/Braddock neighborhood. What should it be called? Of the 339 votes tallied, 53% (180 votes) favor Braddock, 32% (110 votes) call it Parker-Gray and 14% (49 votes) use both interchangeably.
- Did You Know: The last time Alexandria elected a Republican mayor was in 1872
- City Council candidates talk Seminary Road Diet, colocating affordable housing on public school property (Part 1)
- City Council Candidates talk Seminary Road Diet and government transparency in Seminary Ridge forum (Part 2)
- Inmate commits suicide in Alexandria Jail
- Alexandria lifts face mask mandate, aligns with state to eliminate distancing requirements on May 28
- Alexandria Police investigating knife fight, prostitution and drugs at West End hotel
- Here’s a preview of what’s ahead for Alexandria’s post-pandemic economic development
- New Parker-Gray development pushed to veer away from Old Town aesthetics
- Alexandria man arrested after allegedly eluding police outside William Ramsay Elementary School
- Cleanup ends for Lake Cook chemical spill, fishing to resume later this week
- Alexandria History Museum remembers 2020 protests with ‘Black Lives Remembered Collection’
- Photos: More than half of the Potomac Yard Metro Station is complete
- Here’s what’s open and closed in Alexandria on Memorial Day
- Go-go music star-turned Alexandria teacher ‘Sugar Bear’ in the spotlight after Oscars shoutout
- Inova wants to convert Alexandria Hospital into residential properties
- Racism, sexism and favoritism reported within the Alexandria Fire Department
- Here’s how expensive it is to rebrand Alexandria City High School and Naomi L. Brooks Elementary School
- PHOTOS: King Street-Old Town Metro Access Improvement Project nears completion
- Amazon Fresh supermarket planned for former Shopper’s Food Warehouse in Potomac Yard
- Local diner franchise pinches former crab shack in Old Town, crawling toward fall opening
- Officials find Cameron Run Regional Park at fault for chlorine spill in Lake Cook
- Catholic Charities hopes to turn vacant Carlyle restaurant into workforce training kitchen
- Here’s the order that City Council candidates will appear on the ballot for the June 8 democratic primary
- ARHA aims to convert Old Town public housing properties to resemble the mixed-use ‘Lineage’ development
Have a safe weekend!