Alexandria was dominated by violent crime events this week.
The second murder of 2020 occurred on Sept. 30, and ALXnow identified the victim as 57-year-old John Harding Pope. Mayor Justin Wilson and members of the City Council offered their condolences and said that justice will be served.
Our poll asking residents if they feel safe in Alexandria received more than 500 votes, and 60% feel somewhat safe, 29% feel very safe and 12% feel not safe at all.
Old Town regulars will also be sad to learn that Miegs Hodge, a 1982 graduate of T.C. Williams High School, died in a car crash on N. Washington Street on Tuesday, Sept. 29.
Not on this week’s list is Friday’s breaking news story that Jesse Bjerke, a former nurse at Inova Alexandria Hospital, was sentenced to 65 years in prison for raping two lifeguards at gunpoint.
Here are ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria:
- Homeowner Shot in Targeted Del Ray Home Invasion
- UPDATED: Driver Seriously Injured in Old Town Crash
- Police Investigate Violent Early Morning Crimes in Alexandria
- West End Shootout Wounds Two and Hits Buildings and Cars
- Alexandria Wants to Make Affordable Housing Contributions Mandatory for Developers
- Man Dies After Crash on N. Washington Street in Old Town
- Avanti Holdings to Build New West End Home for ‘Alexandria Lighting Supply’ Store
- Man Shot on Quantrell Avenue in City’s Second Murder of 2020
- Poll: How Safe Do You Feel in Alexandria?
- Republican Jeff Jordan Running Uphill Battle Against Incumbent Rep. Don Beyer
- Virginia Tech Pump Station Approval Paves Way for 4.5 Extra Acres at Potomac Yard Park
Have a safe weekend!
Children and adults who missed their Hogwarts letter can celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday with a special tour of the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum. This July 31, the Apothecary Museum will celebrate…
Gourmet Mexican Opens in Del Ray — “The shop sells high quality and authentic Mexican food and other goods.” [Alexandria Living Magazine] It’s Wednesday — Heavy rain starting in the afternoon….
While the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is working through plans to make September fare-free for all riders, that could be extended into October for Alexandria riders dealing with the Metro…
Updated 4:30 p.m. — A spokesperson representing Hilco Redevelopment Partners shared an email with WMWAA indicating that the Airports Authority “is comfortable that the City of Alexandria does not need…