Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
🌥 Today’s weather: Cloudy. Mild. High of 69 and low of 51.
🌥 Tomorrow: Cloudy. Mild. High of 72 and low of 52. Sunrise at 6:05 am and sunset at 8:04 pm.
🚨 You need to know
More gunfire was reported near the Braddock Road Metro station yesterday afternoon, prompting the Alexandria Police Department to tweet that it’s “determined” to solve recent crime issues.
“APD has taken action by installing cameras and increasing police presence in the area to ensure everyone’s safety,” APD tweeted. “No one has been hurt, but we’re determined to prevent any potential harm by keeping a police presence there until we resolve this violence.”
Thursday’s incident occurred in the same block as a number of recent shootings. The city is experiencing a crime surge, and police are fighting it by increasing patrols in high-crime areas, installing mobile camera units and hosting community events.
We care about your safety and appreciate the communities cooperation to help resolve this issue.
— Alexandria Police (@AlexandriaVAPD) May 5, 2023
We had such a great time on Monday at Coffee with a Cop that we are planning three more this month! We hope to see you there!
May 9, 2023 – Monarch 800-930 540 N Henry St.
May 16, 2023 – Bradlee 800-930 3690 King St.
May 23, 2023 – Van Dorn 800-0930 5782 Dow Ave. pic.twitter.com/lN1MfBBuwi
— Alexandria Police (@AlexandriaVAPD) May 2, 2023
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 4, 2023.
- JUST IN: Police investigating shots fired incident near Braddock Road Metro station (1834 views)
- Fundraiser established for family of the ACHS student who died this week (1203 views)
- Notes: Alexandria driver killed in hit-and-run in D.C. | ALXnow (727 views)
- JUST IN: Melanie Kay-Wyatt announced as Alexandria City Public Schools superintendent (516 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt is the New Permanent Superintendent for Alexandria City Public Schools
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:25 pm)
- Interim Schools Superintendent Becomes Permanent in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:48 pm)
- Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt announced as new ACPS Superintendent
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:45 pm)
- Good Food for a Good Cause: ALIVE! Hosting Alexandria Community Cookouts This Month
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:17 pm)
- Do it yourself: Four project ideas to bring new life to your home
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:09 pm)
- Alexandria City School Board – Public Hearing- Budget
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:31 pm)
- Board of Architectural Review – Public Hearing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:29 pm)
- AT&T – Public Notice
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:28 pm)
- DASH To Re-Route Some Lines To Serve Potomac Yard Metro Station in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:28 pm)
- Alexandria City School Board-Public Hearing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:27 pm)
- No Alexandria Primary Election Scheduled In 2023
Patch (Thursday @ 4:33 pm)
- ACHS student receives Narcan
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:52 pm)
- Pets: Dog walking dangers: Avoid injuries and accidents by following these steps
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:41 pm)
- Reunion results
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:33 pm)
- After school registration for 2023-2024
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:29 pm)
- Taste Of Del Ray Returns To One Location In 2023
Patch (Thursday @ 3:24 pm)
- Record breaking fundraiser
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:23 pm)
- Minor arrested for carjacking
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:19 pm)
- Bus lanes on Duke Street?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:44 pm)
- Alexandria Celebrates Cinco de Mayo
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 1:00 pm)
- Most Popular Brunch Spots In U.S. Include 5 NoVA Restaurants
Patch (Thursday @ 12:56 pm)
- Unanimous Vote: Alexandria City Council Approves FY 2024 Budget
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:59 am)
- Del Ray Central Apartment Building Sells for $52 Million
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:30 am)
- Crash conviction and sentence
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:28 am)
- Same Real Estate Tax Rate Approved In Alexandria City Budget
Patch (Thursday @ 10:23 am)
- ACHS student receives Narcan
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:16 am)
- Jula’s on the Potomac Plans June Opening
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:43 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am Saturday: Riverside Gardens Neighborhood Yard Sale
- 10:00 am Saturday: Lost Buildings in Alexandria
- 11:00 am Saturday: Old Town Alexandria Art Show & Craft Spring Fair ~ Mother’s Day Celebration
- 👉 5:15 pm Saturday: Beethoven, Brews, and BBQ
- 👉 7:00 pm Saturday: 2023 Alexandria Scottish Rite Friends & Family Charity Event
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on