It’s the end of a busy week in Alexandria.
This week, our top story was City Council’s decision to extend the state of emergency in the city until March 31, 2021. That means that by the spring the city will have been under a state of emergency for more than a year.
Council also approved a proposal adding Virginia Tech’s initials to the Potomac Yard Metro station. Now the name “Potomac Yard – VT” goes before the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority for final approval.
Alexandria City Public Schools, on Friday, also sent out surveys to families regarding a phased reentry for in-person instruction, while reporting that 93% of students have checked into their online classes. Parents of younger students are complaining about too much screen time, and ACPS staff will present the School Board with an update on how the VirtualPLUS+ model is going in mid-October.
On Thursday, hundreds of residents honored late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a candlelight vigil.
Here are our top stories this week in Alexandria.
- UPDATE: Alexandria City Council Extends State of Emergency to March 2021
- ‘Landmark Overlook’ Would Completely Transform 8 Acres Across from Landmark Mall
- Alexandria Commuters to be Impacted by Arlington National Cemetery Metro Station Improvements
- Alexandria Restauranteur Participates in COVID-19 Vaccine Trial
- ‘Lipstick On A Pig’: BAR Rejects Heritage Old Town Proposal
- Did You Know: There’s An Old Bell in the Alexandria City Hall Clock Tower
- Just Listed in Alexandria
- West End Assisted Living Facility Going to Alexandria Planning Commission
- Police Investigate Shots Fired in Landmark Area
- ‘why ALEXANDRIA’ Podcast Launches in Del Ray
- Restaurants and Other Businesses for Sale in Alexandria
Have a safe weekend!
It’s been another week bookended with violence in Alexandria’s West End. On Saturday, a man was shot in the Landmark area during a suspected carjacking. The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries….
Alexandrians should brace for a stormy weekend. Rain is likely to kick off tonight after 11 p.m. and there’s a good chance it will continue through the weekend as a…
There were no injuries or arrests after gunfire was reported in the West End early Friday morning — a separate incident from the other West End shooting this morning where…
A 2 BD/1.5 BA home with refinished floors, renovated bathroom and fenced backyard is included in Just Listed.
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,