Honestly, kind of a slow week in Alexandria — must have been the tryptophan in the Thanksgiving turkey.
As we head into the end of the year, the city and many local organizations are working to lay the groundwork for a better 2021. Even as the Campagna Center recoils from cancelling the Christmas Parade, the organization is working to ensure fundraising stays consistent for the local non-profit’s early childhood programs. The City, too, is planning for a looming budget setback when CARES Act funding expires.
On the bright side, unemployment figures continue to go down for Alexandria and adoptions from the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria are on the rise. The West End could also get also be getting that Capital Bikeshare expansion sooner than expected.
Here are ALXnow’s top stories of the week in Alexandria:
- Planning Commission Approves Potomac Yard Park Expansion
- New Report Recommends Making Voluntary Affordable Housing Contributions Mandatory in Alexandria
- Cars Stolen With Fake Checks in Alexandria, Suspects Selling Cars
- Alexandria Refines Accessory Dwelling Units Policy and Cuts Parking Requirement
- Women’s Clothing Store LOFT Closes in Old Town
- Officials Debunk Conservative Study on Registered Alexandria Voters
- Alexandria Announces Rolling Expansion of Bikeshare Program to the West End Next Year
- Man Shot in Old Town, Police Increase Patrol Coverage with Spike in Shots Fired Calls
- Beyer Blasts Metro Plan to Cut Service and Eliminate Alexandria Stations
- Del Ray Christmas Tree Lighting Scheduled This Week
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
A coalition of organizations and City agencies has put together a survey to assess the quality of housing around the city. Alexandria’s Healthy Homes Network is launching the engagement project…
Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria! ☀️ Today’s weather: Expect sunny conditions with a high of around 39 degrees, accompanied by a south wind blowing at 6 to 10 mph. The night…
Single-family-only zoning is no more in Alexandria. Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously at around 1 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 29, to approve the Zoning for Housing/Housing for All initiative. The…
Douglass Memorial Cemetery (1421 Wilkes Street) has long suffered flooding and neglect, but the City of Alexandria said plans to address issues at the cemetery will be presented at a…
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26
The Georgetown Visitation Masqueraders proudly present
Descendants The Musical