We made it to Friday in Alexandria! That was some week.
With the end of summer approaching, Alexandria City Public Schools are gearing up for virtual-only classes this fall, although a number of the city’s private schools are reopening. This week, however, Bishop Ireton High School resumed in-person classes.
ALIVE!, which has given away hundreds of thousands of pounds of food during the pandemic, announced it was making its annual walkathon a virtual experience next month. The nonprofit also needs volunteers as needs are increasing, according to Executive Director Jennifer Ayers.
Not included in this week’s list is Thursday’s story about a pilgrimage for racial healing from Charlottesville to D.C., which stopped in Alexandria. The group made it in time to D.C. today to recognize the anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington.
What stories impacted you this week? Let us know in the comments.
Here are our top stories this week in Alexandria.
- City Issues Self-Quarantine Advisory After COVID Outbreak at West End Church
- Alexandria Police Increase Presence to Stem Uptick of Violent Crime in Parker Gray/Old Town
- Alexandria Needs Help Running the November Election
- Demonstrations Continue at Acting DHS Chief Chad Wolf’s Alexandria Home
- City Updates Zoning Ordinance to Allow Density Boost for Schools
- Man Injured in Violent West End Carjacking Last Month
- King Street Metro Improvement Project Pushed Back to Spring 2021
- New Restaurant Concept Opens Next Month in Old Town Hotel
- Proposed Regulatory Changes Cut Back Red Tape for Alexandria Businesses
- What Does Southern Towers’ Acquisition by CIM Group Mean for Alexandria Affordable Housing?
- Saunas and Ice Baths: A New Coworking Office Focusing on Wellness Opens in Old Town
Have a safe weekend!
Image via Kidane Mehret Church/Facebook
An alleged carjacking that turned fatal last Friday derailed that week’s Top Stories post, but the weekly roundup returns. That carjacking, unsurprisingly, was the top story of this past week….
Alexandria’s Homegrown Restaurant Group just stumbled across a proverbial goldmine of infant baby formula, and on Friday morning (May 20) they donated 10 cases of Similac Advance to ALIVE!. It…
Open Houses includes a 4 BD/3 BA brick home with an updated open kitchen, deck and finished lower level.
A 4 BD/3 BA home with a gas fireplace, covered porch and walkout basement is included in Just Listed.