Say your farewells to the traffic circle at the end of Eisenhower Avenue, because later this month work is scheduled to start on a widening and roadway improvement project that will replace it with a T-intersection.
A construction open house is scheduled for Tuesday, December 15, at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
“Join us to learn about the improvements planned for East Eisenhower Avenue and plans for mitigating impacts during construction,” the city said. “Staff will also be on hand to answer your questions.”
The project was approved earlier this year, though with some frustration from the City Council that the project was primarily moving forward because it was too expensive to cancel.
During construction, city said access to nearby businesses will be unimpeded, but traffic along Eisenhower Avenue and Holland Lane could experience slightly longer travel times.
According to the city website, planned improvements include:
- Adding an additional left turn lane at the Eisenhower/Mill Road intersection on westbound Eisenhower Ave.
- Upgrading the receiving lanes on Mill Road to accept the dual left turns from Eisenhower Ave.
- Convert the traffic circle at Eisenhower and Holland to a “T” intersection from John Carlyle Street to Holland Lane.
- Upgrading the street lighting and sidewalks on the north side between Mill Road and Elizabeth Lane, and both sides between John Carlyle Street and Holland Lane.
- Full width resurfacing of Eisenhower Avenue between Holland Lane and Mill Road.
Photo via Google Maps, map via City of Alexandria
Metal detectors are not being considered at Alexandria City Public Schools. After a rocky start to the school year with multiple students caught bringing weapons to Alexandria City High School,…
The city is looking at options to move things around in the Torpedo Factory and insert some surprises into activity holes on the ground floor. In a Torpedo Factory Art…
A small chain devoted to spicy Nashville-style chicken called Hangry Joe’s Chicken is making a big expansion, opening in the Alexandria Commons shopping center and other locations throughout the region…
The Del Ray neighborhood was recently profiled on the latest episode of the PBS show If You Lived Here. This episode took a look at three homes in the neighborhood…