Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Afternoon clouds. Mild. High of 67 and low of 42.
☔ Tomorrow: Light rain. Increasing cloudiness. Mild. High of 66 and low of 43. Sunrise at 6:17 am and sunset at 7:54 pm.
🚨 You need to know
The Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail (FoMVT), a volunteer organization that maintains and improves the trail, won the 2023 Ellen Pickering Environmental Excellence Award on Sunday, Alexandria Living Magazine reported.
The Ellen Pickering Environmental Excellence Award is a local honor presented by the City of Alexandria Environmental Policy Commission and Alexandria Renew Enterprises.
This year, the award honored the FoMVT for their dedication to ongoing improvements to the iconic trail.
According to the FoMVT website:
Since 2018, FoMVT has conducted 140 events with 2,315 volunteers providing 6,458 volunteers hours to improving the Mount Vernon Trail and George Washington Memorial Parkway.
“We can’t imagine a better recognition than receiving an award in the name of a founder of the Mount Vernon Trail. Ellen Pickering’s work to establish the trail as well as create open public space on the Alexandria waterfront was a major inspiration in the decision to establish FoMVT. Ellen’s life is a testament that investing in your community inspires others to build on that investment with a lasting impact. We are out improving the trail every weekend and hope that you will join us,” said Judd Isbell, President of Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail.
📈 Monday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 24, 2023.
- Notes: New toy store coming to Old Town with poll to determine the name (595 views)
- Police respond to another shots fired and armed robbery over the weekend (2716 views)
- Goodies Frozen Custard and Treats reopens on spring weekends in Old Town (298 views)
- Alexandria still buying gas-powered buses for DASH despite goals to go electric (175 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- A Directorial Triumph and Flawless Cast Reign in Mary Stuart at The Little Theatre of Alexandria
Zebra (Monday @ 11:05 pm)
- Spring2Action Returns In 2023 With 185 Participating Nonprofits
Patch (Monday @ 4:39 pm)
- Alexandria Mother and Daughter Author Children’s Book Series Aimed at Teaching Disability Awareness
Zebra (Monday @ 3:58 pm)
- Recognizing Excellence in Alexandria: Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail Win 2023 Pickering Award
Zebra (Monday @ 2:52 pm)
- Another COVID Vaccine Booster Offered To Limited Groups In Alexandria
Patch (Monday @ 12:26 pm)
- Amazon’s Metropolitan Park will be a Diner’s Delight
Zebra (Monday @ 12:23 pm)
- Fun for All Ages: RecFest in Alexandria May 6
Zebra (Monday @ 11:13 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
The City of Alexandria is fighting with residents over a new development in court, but the battle spilled over into a public comment section that ended with a rebuke from…
Zero waste boutique Mason and Greens (913 King Street) seemingly closed in Old Town earlier this month. The store closed earlier this month with no public notice. Calls to the…
There’s a concert of flavors happening with the newest treat from Goodies Frozen Custard and Treats (200 Commerce Street) in Old Town. Owner Brandon Byrd is collaborating with local Girl…
Starting next week, Alexandrians can reserve picnic areas around the city for birthday parties, quinceaneras or other celebrations and events. The rental season runs from April to October. The parks…
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.