Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Afternoon clouds. Refreshingly cool. High of 60 and low of 42.
⛅ Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. Cool. High of 61 and low of 42. Sunrise at 6:18 am and sunset at 7:53 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Red Barn Mercantile and Penny Post owner Amy Rutherford is opening a new children’s store at 1310 King Street, Alexandria Living Magazine first reported.
The new store doesn’t have a name yet, but it’s been in the works for six years. Alexandria Living Magazine reported that Rutherford saw the closure of Why Not? as a profound loss for Alexandria and knew a new toy store would need to take its place.
Rutherford is currently running a poll to determine the new toy store name. People can send in their own name suggestion (and get $500 worth of gift cards if chosen) or pick from:
- Ickle Me
- Pip & Squeak
- Georgie & Dot
Image via Red Barn Mercantile/Instagram
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 21, 2023.
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria (4197 views)
- Another shots fired incident reported near Braddock Road Metro station (2929 views)
- Police say West End shooting incidents last Saturday are likely related (1215 views)
- Dog daycare in Old Town hopes to expand to offer overnight dog care (369 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Black Family Reunion Event Happening at Alexandria’s Barrett Library on April 26th!
Zebra (Saturday @ 3:49 pm)
- Community Invited: 126th Anniversary Of Joseph McCoy’s Lamp Post Lynching To Be Marked In Alexandria, Sunday, April 23
Zebra (Saturday @ 2:10 pm)
- The “Who’s Who in Nonprofit World” Joined Forces for Spring2ACTtion’s Kickoff in Alexandria
Zebra (Saturday @ 12:28 pm)
- Bijan Ghaisar’s Family Awarded $5M Settlement In Fatal Police Shooting
Patch (Friday @ 9:13 pm)
- Alexandria Sheriff’s Office Introduces Wellness App for Employees
Zebra (Friday @ 8:05 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: Logan Brings Doggy Smiles And Energy
Patch (Friday @ 4:55 pm)
- ‘Your Future Starts Today’: Alexandria Schools Hosting Mentorship Event April 29
Zebra (Friday @ 4:29 pm)
- At-Risk Student Counseling Program In VA Boosted With Federal Funds
Patch (Friday @ 3:54 pm)
- Food Deliveries From Robots, Metro’s Next Shutdowns: Top VA News
Patch (Friday @ 2:49 pm)
- Will the Shoe Fit? Metropolitan School of the Arts Performing ‘Cinderella’ in Alexandria
Zebra (Friday @ 2:21 pm)
- Earth Day Festival, Barrel Tasting, Wine Fest: NoVA, DC Weekend Events
Patch (Friday @ 12:56 pm)
- Now Accepting Nominations for 2023 Alexandria Beautification Commission Awards
Zebra (Friday @ 10:51 am)
- Distribution Of Pills Containing Fentanyl Gets Alexandria Man Sentence
Patch (Friday @ 9:33 am)
- Pablo and Marcie Seek Home Together
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:13 am)
- First Drug Take Back Event Of 2023 Planned In Alexandria
Patch (Friday @ 8:00 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
By the time this story is published, candidates will have just an hour-and-a-half to file the necessary paperwork to run in the Jan. 9 special election to fill the vacant seat on the Alexandria School Board.
(Updated 3:20 p.m.) Alexandria has nabbed a top spot on another holiday-focused tour list, this time on holiday gift website Mixbook. The website’s list “America’s Favorite ‘Christmassy’ Towns 2023” ranked…
The Alexandria Police Department says that an arrest was made after a man was injured in an attempted robbery in the Landmark area of Alexandria’s West End last week. APD…
Eat Fish, Be Healthy — even at home! Opening their storefront in November 2020, owners Michael and Katy set out to supply top quality fresh and frozen seafood to Alexandria…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.