Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
🌥 Today’s weather: Overcast. Cool. High of 52.
☔ Tomorrow: Sprinkles. Overcast. Cool. High of 52 and low of 43. Sunrise at 6:42 am and sunset at 7:37 pm.
🚨 You need to know
While Alexandria’s population declined during the pandemic, Patch reported that the city saw a slight population increase last year.
The report comes from the Census Bureau, which showed that Alexandria’s population increased from 155,203 in 2021 to 155,525 in 2022.
While it’s still growth, it’s a fairly modest gain and is still smaller than the 159,125 population count in Alexandria in 2020.
Patch noted that Alexandria isn’t alone in this: Fairfax County’s population has been in steady decline since the pandemic and Arlington, like Alexandria, saw a decline between 2020 and 2021 but a slight rebound last year.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 6, 2023.
- No injuries after gunfire in West End near N. Beauregard Street on Monday night (993 views)
- JUST IN: Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for Alexandria (952 views)
- Most and least expensive condos sold in Alexandria (Mar-Apr 2023) | ALXnow (505 views)
- Notes: Rabbit-themed art festival hops back into Old Town this weekend (259 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Yellow Line set to reopen on May
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:29 pm)
- New food hub for ALIVE!
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:24 pm)
- Days of Remembrance
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:55 pm)
- Earth Day celebrations continue
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:50 pm)
- Name for development announced
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:42 pm)
- Night of Science returns in April
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:36 pm)
- Curbside compost open for registration
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:29 pm)
- 39th PNC Parkway Classic returns
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:25 pm)
- School zone speed cameras
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:18 pm)
- Robbery and shots fired
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:15 pm)
- Delivery driver robbed at gunpoint
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:12 pm)
- About Alexandria with Mark Eaton: TINA to Chance for Change
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:02 pm)
- Belle Haven Country Club Employee Langston Frazier Selected for PGA Leadership Development Program
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:15 pm)
- Your View: Living in a militarized zone – indefinitely
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:10 pm)
- Leaders downplay Amazon HQ2 pause
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:07 pm)
- Our View: A creative city
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:05 pm)
- Historic Garden Week turns 90: Five Old Town homes and gardens will be open for tours
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:47 pm)
- City Creatives: Moving forward: Local Motion Project merges dancing and teaching to affect social change
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:27 pm)
- City Creatives: Women who altered history: Local author tells how Vietnam War wives helped change POW/MIA policy
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:12 pm)
- City Creatives | He’s got the beat: Crooked Beat owner overcomes industry trends, and rats, to keep selling vinyl
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:54 pm)
- Alexandria Man Wins $100K in Single Pick 4 Drawing
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:31 pm)
- Vote for Alexandria! Help Visit Alexandria Get to the Top of Condé Nast Traveler’s “Best Small Cities” List
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:00 pm)
- RAINED OUT: Del Ray’s ‘First Thursday Cherry Blossom Challenge’ Postponed to April 13
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:46 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 12:00 pm Saturday: T-MODE Cherry Blossom Cruise 2023
- 1:00 pm Saturday: The Twig Scavenger Hunt
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on