Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 55 and low of 47.
☔ Tomorrow: Rain throughout the day. High of 59 and low of 46. Sunrise at 7:28 am and sunset at 4:56 pm.
🚨 You need to know
It’ll be 2023 when ALXnow returns for more coverage starting on Tuesday, Jan. 3. This week, we already got a head start with a new “Morning Notes” format that aims to work as more of a morning newsletter than just a couple of links to other sites. Let us know what you think in the comments and if there are ways it could be better.
For locals, one of the more noticeable changes in the new year could be cheaper groceries. The sales tax rate on groceries in Virginia is slated to drop from 2.5% down to 1% starting on Sunday, Jan. 1.
Along with groceries, personal hygiene items like bed sheets, diapers and feminine hygiene products will all have a matching sales tax reduction.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Dec 29, 2022.
- Woman assaulted and robbed near Braddock Road Metro station (3225 views)
- Jack Taylor sells Alexandria Toyota for $35 million | ALXnow (2796 views)
- Notes: New toll lanes inbound for Alexandria-adjacent highways (553 views)
- Poll: Should electric scooters be allowed on sidewalks? (250 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- I-95 Snow Shutdown, UVA Slayings, Commanders Sale: Top 2022 News In VA
Patch (Thursday @ 11:25 pm)
- Newly Reopened Trattoria da Franco Italian Food and Opera Night Held December 11th to Sold-Out Crowd
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:04 pm)
- Speed Limits And Cameras, School Safety: Top Alexandria News Of 2022
Patch (Thursday @ 4:29 pm)
- At the Kennedy Center, the Tony Award-Winning “A Soldier’s Play,” Starring Broadway Greats Norm Lewis and Eugene Lee
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:56 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: Energetic Nyla Helps With Fitness Goals
Patch (Thursday @ 3:22 pm)
- Christmas Tree Collection Starts Jan. 3 in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 10:56 am)
- 170 Alexandria Residents To Receive $500 Stimulus Checks Beginning February 2023
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:40 am)
- Virginia Grocery Tax Cut Starts Jan. 1
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 10:34 am)
- Tails Wagging: Bonded 12-Year-Old Senior Dogs Find Home with Couple in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:28 am)
- Enter the Alexandria Poetry Contest
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 9:43 am)
- Stabbing In Northwest DC Leads To Charge For Alexandria Man
Patch (Thursday @ 9:27 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
Getting our fleet ready for snow season is a team effort! Fleet Management crews work hard to make sure the City is ready for whatever weather this Winter will bring. Find out more on how we are preparing > https://t.co/CbWexvWVJe #alexandria #snow pic.twitter.com/y3QkyD8s0g
— Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services (@AlexandriaVATES) December 28, 2022
Next week's trash, recycling, and yard collection will not be collected on Monday, January 2 due to observed New Year's Day and "slides" one day later. Visit https://t.co/k913jORqMm for more information and to view this year's holiday collection schedule. pic.twitter.com/g8P3cEn4tB
— Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services (@AlexandriaVATES) December 29, 2022
Tell us what you think about the NVTC 2023-2024 Work Plan–a guiding document for NVTC staff to support the mission of the Commission. Read the Work Plan here and learn how to comment: https://t.co/ZxX61tLW6P Deadline: January 5, 2023 at noon. pic.twitter.com/oaWBHz7zmi
— NVTC (@NoVaTransit) December 27, 2022
— The Birchmere (@thebirchmere) December 29, 2022
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 7:00 pm Saturday: 28th Annual First Night Alexandria
As rainfall travels down the hills of the Parkfairfax neighborhood, the momentum sweeps it past the slim gutters meant to catch the water, propelling it further downhill to devastating effect….
Cloud is a 10-year-old black and brown medium-haired cat searching for her forever home. Currently up for adoption at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, she has a decade of…
A 23-year-old Lorton man was charged with driving while intoxicated after allegedly crashing into four cars in Old Town. The crash occurred near the intersection of S. Patrick Street and…
Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria! ☔ Today’s weather: Light rain in the morning and afternoon. High of 51 and low of 33. ⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of…
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at [email protected] or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at [email protected]
If you’re looking for a mental health professional in Virginia, Washington D.C., or Maryland, we can help.
We provide a confidential and convenient way to get the help you need from the comfort of your own home.
We offer a free 15-minute consultation to see if our services fit your needs.
The services we offer are: