While last week was bookended with another murder and the Superintendent Gregory Hutchings Jr.’s resignation — still the top story a week later — this week was a little quieter.
Alexandria City Public Schools and the City of Alexandria are working on a response to violence in local schools. The city is also working with regional partners on plans to get through the next few months of a Metro shutdown.
Also, because it’s Juneteenth this weekend, ALXnow won’t be publishing anything beyond Morning Notes on Monday. Have a good weekend!
- BREAKING: Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr. resigns
- Alexandria facing another Metro shutdown, this time without DASH filling the gap
- No arrests after multiple cars struck in West End hit-and-run
- Arlandria housing project heads back to city review after local Catholic church refuses to yield alleyway
- Old Town pay-by-phone parking cost could increase in effort to push drivers to garages
- Lane closures start tonight on Duke Street in the West End
- Preservation vs affordability in Parker-Gray neighborhood divides Alexandria BAR
- City Council stepping in to prevent youth violence within Alexandria City Public Schools
- Vice Mayor derided for saying Council nominee for new committee is ‘anti-police’
- Arlington leather repair shop Best Foot Forward moving to Bradlee Shopping Center
While the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is working through plans to make September fare-free for all riders, that could be extended into October for Alexandria riders dealing with the Metro…
Updated 4:30 p.m. — A spokesperson representing Hilco Redevelopment Partners shared an email with WMWAA indicating that the Airports Authority “is comfortable that the City of Alexandria does not need…
The Alexandria City Council is poised to approve an amended plan to build a 473-unit affordable housing complex in Arlandria, now that St. Rita Catholic Church has signed off on…
Alexandria will be hiring more police officers, but Mayor Justin Wilson warned the fix to staffing challenges won’t be quick. The Alexandria Police Department is facing a chronic short-staffing issue…