A new permit filed with the City of Alexandria indicates that some changes could be underway for the Campagna Center at 418 South Washington Street.
The building, constructed in 1888, was once part of the Alexandria City Public Schools system as a school and later as administrative offices. It was converted into office space in 1981 and was purchased by local child education nonprofit Campagna Center in 1993.
The application lists a series of changes that make for a pretty extensive overhaul to the building. The Campagna Center is looking to replace all windows and sill around the building, replace the several brick walls and gates, create a new entrance at the main doorway on the west side (facing S. Washington Street) and create a new eastern entrance that will bring the building into code compliance.
Overall, a staff report on the proposed changes recommended approval.
“After careful review of the existing structure to identify existing historic fabric, staff supports the proposed alterations to the historic structure at 418 South Washington Street and recommends approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness [with conditions],” the report said.
The application is scheduled for review at the Board of Architectural Review on Wednesday, Feb. 2.
The full list of proposed changes are listed below the jump.
Permit to Demolish/Capsulate
- Remove all existing windows
- Remove portion of brick below window sills at ground floor west elevation
- Remove exterior entry stairs and entry door, surrounds, and transom at west elevation
- Remove portion of brick below existing ground floor window and remove brick for
installation of three new windows on the south elevation
- Remove brick at infilled windows on east elevation.
- Remove entry door, surround, and transom at east elevation
- Remove exterior egress stair and second floor entry door at north elevation.
- Remove brick at infilled openings in four locations and remove brick for installation of
three new windows on the north elevation.
- Regrade site at north end of building to create outdoor patio and expose portion of historic
Certificate of Appropriateness
- New windows to be installed throughout. Windows to be double glazed, aluminum clad
wood, single hung with transom to match configuration of historic windows.
- All existing wood window sills to be replaced in-kind
- New brick wall and metal gate to be installed to enclose new exterior patio at north end of
- New brick mechanical unit enclosure at north end of site
- Existing ground floor window openings at west elevation to be modified with lower sills
- New entry door storefront to be installed at location of existing entry door on west elevation
- Existing ground floor window openings at south elevation to be modified with lower sills
and three new windows installed
- Existing entry and two windows on east elevation to be infilled with metal panels in a
pattern to match the existing windows.
- New entry stairs, ramp, door, and canopy installed at east elevation.
- Three new windows and four existing window openings modified with lower sills at north
Alexandria City Public Schools is has a “crew” problem — organized groups of kids that are participating in criminal behavior, according to Police Chief Don Hayes. If the description sounds…
A new report, prepared for a City Council meeting tomorrow (Wednesday), looks back at the progress made on several priorities adopted earlier this year, from pandemic recovery to housing. The…
(Updated 3:45 p.m.) After all the fuss over its creation, the Alexandria Independent Community Policing Review Board has seemingly had a pretty quiet first full year since its creation. The…
Inova has major plans for the former Lanadmark Mall site, and will conduct its second virtual community meeting on Monday, October 17. The timeline for the project is still subject…
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
At Nova Fencing Club, the beginner fencing classes are designed for students of all levels – including students who have never fenced before.
If you’re looking for a fun physical activity that improves your fitness, critical thinking and rapid decision making skills then come join us!
There’s no better time than now to give us a try – and take part in one of the fastest growing sports. Our highly educated, professional coaching staff includes Virginia’s only Maitre d’Armes, a member of USA Fencing’s coaching team, former members of the USA National Team, and our Head Coach, who has produced national champions.
Register for either our Youth Beginner Fencing Classes (7-12) or our Teen & Adult Beginner Fencing Classes (13 to Adult) and become a part of the club that champions call home.
Join the City of Alexandria and Arlington County’s Initiative to Rethink Energy at our first ever electric vehicle (EV) and sustainable technologies showcase! Get inspired by seeing a variety of electric cars, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, police cars, buses, trucks and