Alexandria Police are investigating a series of smash-and-grab burglaries at seven businesses in the West End and along Eisenhower Avenue.
Assistant Police Chief Don Hayes did not say what was stolen would not comment as to whether the city is experiencing a crime spree.
The incidents occurred on the following dates and at these locations:
- June 24 — 4603 Duke Street, Samurai Hibachi and Sushi Bar
- June 24 — 4545 Duke Street, Hong Kong Express
- June 24 — 2281 Eisenhower Avenue, Uptown Market and Cafe
- June 24 — 2111 Eisenhower Avenue, Cafe Old Town
- July 22 — 506 S Van Dorn Street, Thai Lemongrass
- July 22 — 4603 Eisenhower Avenue, McCormick Paints
- July 22 — 506 S Van Dorn D Street, another business in the shopping center
Although the multiple crime events were similar in nature and occurred on two separate days, Hayes would not comment as to whether the incidents are linked and said he would not discuss the facts of an ongoing investigation.
In April, a man was arrested for a crime spree after four gas stations in Del Ray and Old Town were broken into in a similar fashion and more than $45,000 worth of items was taken.
Staff photo by Vernon Miles