As part of a series spotlighting local businesses, city-sponsored organization Visit Alexandria has put together a guide for Alexandrians trying to show more support for black-owned businesses in the city.
Restaurants spotlighted on the list are:
- Cameron Café (4911 Brenman Park Drive) — a local coffee shop in Cameron Station that — just prior to the pandemic — reopened with a new wine and beer bar.
- Goodies Frozen Custard & Treats (200 Commerce Street) — a popular frozen treats truck scheduled to make a permanent home in an old ’30s era ice house later this year. The Truck is located outside the shop every Saturday in the meantime.
- Haute Dogs & Fries (610 Montgomery Street) — a hot dog and burger shop with a variety of unique options, including vegetarian variants.
- Hen Quarter (801 King Street) — a southern cuisine restaurant in Old Town
- The Rub (801 King Street) — a more casual fried chicken and beer eatery on the ground floor of Hen Quarter
The list also includes hair salons, retail, and a local tour company with a focus on the city’s black history.
The organization noted that black-owned companies wanting to be added to the list can contact [email protected] though the company must be focused around bringing in visitors and must be located in the City of Alexandria — sorry “Alexandria, Fairfax.”
Staff photo by James Cullum
This week saw possibly the most contentious meeting between the City Council and School Board in years for a debate over School Resources Officers that ultimately culminated in the Council…
The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria has raised enough funding to establish a new scholarship that will be named after a beloved former teacher. The recently retired Beverly Vick was a…
Months after the majority of Alexandria residents were fully vaccinated, coronavirus precautions now turn toward booster shots aimed at keeping those vaccinations effective. A Pfizer vaccine booster has already been…
Featured in this week’s Just Listed is a 4 BD/3.5 BA Cape Cod home with hardwood floors and wood burning fireplace with 3,500 sq. ft. of living space.