As part of a series spotlighting local businesses, city-sponsored organization Visit Alexandria has put together a guide for Alexandrians trying to show more support for black-owned businesses in the city.
Restaurants spotlighted on the list are:
- Cameron Café (4911 Brenman Park Drive) — a local coffee shop in Cameron Station that — just prior to the pandemic — reopened with a new wine and beer bar.
- Goodies Frozen Custard & Treats (200 Commerce Street) — a popular frozen treats truck scheduled to make a permanent home in an old ’30s era ice house later this year. The Truck is located outside the shop every Saturday in the meantime.
- Haute Dogs & Fries (610 Montgomery Street) — a hot dog and burger shop with a variety of unique options, including vegetarian variants.
- Hen Quarter (801 King Street) — a southern cuisine restaurant in Old Town
- The Rub (801 King Street) — a more casual fried chicken and beer eatery on the ground floor of Hen Quarter
The list also includes hair salons, retail, and a local tour company with a focus on the city’s black history.
The organization noted that black-owned companies wanting to be added to the list can contact [email protected] though the company must be focused around bringing in visitors and must be located in the City of Alexandria — sorry “Alexandria, Fairfax.”
Staff photo by James Cullum
While the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is working through plans to make September fare-free for all riders, that could be extended into October for Alexandria riders dealing with the Metro…
Updated 4:30 p.m. — A spokesperson representing Hilco Redevelopment Partners shared an email with WMWAA indicating that the Airports Authority “is comfortable that the City of Alexandria does not need…
The Alexandria City Council is poised to approve an amended plan to build a 473-unit affordable housing complex in Arlandria, now that St. Rita Catholic Church has signed off on…
Alexandria will be hiring more police officers, but Mayor Justin Wilson warned the fix to staffing challenges won’t be quick. The Alexandria Police Department is facing a chronic short-staffing issue…