As Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles offices undergo phased reopenings, Governor Ralph Northam on Thursday announced an extension for residents who need to get renewals for identification cards and driver’s licenses.
Northam said that the licenses and IDs that need to be renewed before July 31 can be renewed by August 31.
“In recent days, our DMVs have been slowly reopening a small number of customer service centers with appointments and other protective measures,” Northam said in a press conference. “Because there is a lot of demand for these services, I am extending the time Virginians have to renew expired licenses or ID cards. If your license or ID expires before July 31, you will have until August 31 to renew it.”
That’s good news for Alexandria resident Amy Billing, who spent more than four hours trying to book an appointment to get her license renewed. She couldn’t get the renewal online because of the DMV stipulation that license alternating renewals must be done in person. She wasn’t able to get anyone on the phone and reached out to DMV via Twitter.
“At this time, the closest office to northern Virginia capable of handling your transaction is our (Fredericksburg or Harrisonburg) location which is just over an hour away,” DMV Communications responded to Billing. “DMV has opened 14 customer service centers statewide for specific, appointment-only services. Governor Northam has delayed the implementation of his reopening plan in northern Virginia due to continued public health concerns in that region. More DMV locations will open in phases through mid-summer.”
Alexandria’s DMV is currently closed. The department says on its website that it will open in phases through mid-summer. The following offices will be opening on Monday:
- Arlington (4150 South Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA 22206): Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Franconia (6306 Grovedale Drive, Alexandria, VA 22310): Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Leesburg (945 Edwards Ferry Road NE, Leesburg, VA 20176): Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Prince William/Manassas (11270 Bulloch Drive, Manassas, VA 20109): Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tysons Corner (1968 Gallows Road, Vienna, VA 22182): Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
“We’re hoping to be opening offices every Monday, from here until we’re all back open,” DMV spokesperson Jessica Cowardin told ALXnow.
According to DMV: “An office can only reopen once it has been prepared to provide adequate social distancing and clear plastic partitions have been installed on front counters creating a safe separation between customers and employees.”
Billing, who works at the University of Maryland, made an appointment for June 18 at a DMV service center in Portsmouth, Virginia, which is near Virginia Beach. She will have to take a vacation day from work to make the trip.
“I have enough leave to not have a problem, but obviously I don’t want to be using it for that purpose,” she said. “But booking the appointment was like winning the jackpot.”
Despite the governor’s extension, Billing said she will likely keep her appointment.
“If I let it go, I’m not sure how easy it would be to book an alternate date,” she said.
Find more DMV locations and book an appointment here.
According to DMV:
In determining the order in which offices will reopen, DMV is taking in to consideration the following factors:
- Historical volumes of customers served,
- Geography/statewide service coverage,
- Availability of staff,
- Office preparedness, including installation of clear plastic partitions at service windows, and
- Local health and safety considerations.
Upon reopening, DMV will focus on the following services:
- Original driver’s licenses
- Original commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs)
- Replacement driver’s licenses for a name change
- Driver’s license renewals, including CDLs
- Original and renewal ID cards
- ID card replacements for a name change
- Original and replacement disabled parking placards
- HAZMAT fingerprinting
- Original and substitute titles
- Original and transfer of vehicle registrations (no title)
- Vital records
- Compliance/Reinstatement of driving privileges, to include insurance payment plan set-up
- Payment plan: monthly installment payment
- Knowledge testing for learner’s permits and business partners (No road testing for passenger vehicles and motorcycles can be offered at this time.)
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
A power outage hit over 4,300 Dominion Energy customers across Alexandria, but within an hour it seems most of that has been restored.. Dominion Energy said there were 4,364 customers…
Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria! 🌤️ Today’s weather: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 76. Northeast wind around 10 mph. At night: Increasing clouds, with a low…
A 27-year-old Maryland man has been charged with robbing two separate Alexandria banks in March and April. Jaquan Royal, of Prince George’s County, was arrested on May 24 in connection…
It’s been another busy week in Alexandria as the city heads into Memorial Day weekend. For those driving this weekend, be aware that some of the major roads are likely…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on