Alexandria now has 77 cases of COVID-19, according to the health department.
There was a surge of 53 cases over the last week, and the new figure is an addition of 10 cases since yesterday. The department said in a release that it expects the number to increase.
The city is also now recommending that residents wear cloth face masks in public.
According to a city release, “Wearing a cloth face covering is only effective when used in conjunction with frequent hand washing and physical distancing, which includes staying at least six feet away from other people.”
The full breakdown in Alexandria is below:
- March 11 — First positive case reported
- March 15 — Second positive case reported
- March 17 — Fourth positive case reported
- March 24 — The number of cases jumps to 13
- March 25 — The number of cases increases to 14
- March 26 — The number of cases increases to 20
- March 27 — The number of cases increases to 24
- March 28 — The number of cases increases to 28
- March 29 — The number of cases increases to 32
- March 31 — The number of cases increases to 44
- April 1 — The number of cases increases to 55
- April 2 — The number of cases increases to 67
- April 3 — The number of cases increases to 77
There have been 46 deaths and are now more than 2,000 cases of COVID-19 in Virginia, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
Staff photo by James Cullum
Alexandria has reached yet another grim milestone, as the city surpassed 14,000 reported cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began, according to the Virginia Department of Health. As of today…
New data from tax collection over the summer shows a minor rebound for sales and meals in Alexandria, but while it’s a positive sign, Mayor Justin Wilson cautioned that they…
Metro running at 40% today — “As part of the investigation into the Blue Line derailment, Metro is holding out of service all of its 7000-series railcars, which is about 60%…
This week saw possibly the most contentious meeting between the City Council and School Board in years for a debate over School Resources Officers that ultimately culminated in the Council…