(Updated at 11:55 a.m.) A two-alarm apartment fire at 250 S. Van Dorn Street drew a large emergency response Thursday morning.
The fire was reported on the top floor of a four-story apartment building in the Landmark area, across from the Van Dorn Plaza shopping center, around 10:30 a.m. Smoke could be seen coming from the roof area, according to initial reports.
Firefighters from Alexandria, Fairfax County and Arlington responded to the scene. The fire was extinguished shortly before 11 a.m.
Thus far no injuries have been reported, but residents of several apartments are expected to be displaced due to fire, water and smoke damage.
2nd Alarm sounded, 200 Block of S Van Dorn Street, fire showing from a 4th floor apartment and thru the roof. Battalion 212 with the command.
— IAFF Local 2141 (@IAFFLocal2141) December 19, 2019
Amid the Van Dorn Street fire response, AFD alo responded to a small fire at a school in Old Town. The two simultaneous structure fire calls required some Arlington fire units to help fill in at Alexandria fire stations.
UPDATE: The Van Dorn Street fire is out. Firefighters are now also on scene of the Lyles-Crouch school at 530 S. St. Asaph Street, which has been evacuated after a fire in the boiler room, now reported to be out.
— ALXnow (@AlexandriaNow) December 19, 2019
This week saw possibly the most contentious meeting between the City Council and School Board in years for a debate over School Resources Officers that ultimately culminated in the Council…
The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria has raised enough funding to establish a new scholarship that will be named after a beloved former teacher. The recently retired Beverly Vick was a…
Months after the majority of Alexandria residents were fully vaccinated, coronavirus precautions now turn toward booster shots aimed at keeping those vaccinations effective. A Pfizer vaccine booster has already been…
Featured in this week’s Just Listed is a 4 BD/3.5 BA Cape Cod home with hardwood floors and wood burning fireplace with 3,500 sq. ft. of living space.