If you’ve ever wanted to get more involved in city governance, now is your chance.
There are several vacancies for boards in Alexandria. Many have certain requirements, like being a member of the Planning Commission or a representative of an impacted group, many groups also have public members who represent the community and are not required to be affiliated with any particular group.
Many of the policy decisions that reach the City Council start at one of the dozens of boards and commissions that specialize in various fields of public interest.
All applicants must submit a personal data record form by 5 p.m. on Dec. 3. Applicants cannot apply to more than one board or commission.
The following committees and boards have vacancies for citizen members, sometimes listed as a member-at-large:
- Alcohol Safety Action Program Policy Board: of four vacancies, there is one vacancy for a citizen member, due to an expiring term. The Board meets at the call of the Chair.
- Alexandria Housing Affordability Advisory Committee: one public vacancy The Committee meets on the first Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Approximately four to five hours per month are required of Committee members.
- Archaeological Commission: one member-at-large vacancy, due to a resignation. The Commission meets at 7:00 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. Approximately four to five hours per month are required of Commission members.
- Beauregard Urban Design Advisory Committee: one vacancy for a citizen member, due to expired term. The Committee meets on the third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. Approximately four hours per month are required of Committee members.
- Beautification Commission: two citizen vacancies. The Commission meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Approximately eight hours per month are required of Commission members.
- Commission for Women: one vacancy for a citizen member, due to a resignation. The Commission meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Approximately eight hours per month are required of Commission members.
- Commission on HIV/AIDS: eight vacancies for citizen members. The Commission meets on the third Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Approximately three hours per month are required of Commission members.
- Commission on Persons with Disabilities: two vacancies for citizen members. The Commission meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Wednesday of every month. Approximately six to ten hours a month are required of Commission members.
- Community Services Board: one vacancy for a citizen member. The Board meets on the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. The Board is on recess in July and August. Approximately eight hours per month are required of Board members.
A full list of Commissions with vacancies, including the ones with specific requirements not listed here, is available at the City of Alexandria website.
The city is also looking to fill a vacancy on the Alexandria Transit Company’s (ATC) Board of Directors. All applicants must complete a personal data record form and submit it to the ATC by Tuesday, Dec. 3.
According to the city website:
The Board will take into consideration the applicant’s work background, years of residency in the City of Alexandria, past and present involvement in community service, civic groups, and other boards and commissions, the extent to which they use or have used transit services, their interest in transit and transportation issues, related skills that they may bring to the Board, and the area of the City that they reside with respect to the present Board members.
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
An alleged carjacking that turned fatal last Friday derailed that week’s Top Stories post, but the weekly roundup returns. That carjacking, unsurprisingly, was the top story of this past week….
Alexandria’s Homegrown Restaurant Group just stumbled across a proverbial goldmine of infant baby formula, and on Friday morning (May 20) they donated 10 cases of Similac Advance to ALIVE!. It…
Open Houses includes a 4 BD/3 BA brick home with an updated open kitchen, deck and finished lower level.
A 4 BD/3 BA home with a gas fireplace, covered porch and walkout basement is included in Just Listed.