(Updated at 10 a.m.) A suspected gas leak has prompted the evacuation of George Washington Middle School.
The school at 1005 Mount Vernon Avenue, near the Braddock Road Metro station, was evacuated shortly after 9:30 a.m. amid cool (45 degree) but sunny weather, due to an odor of natural gas inside the building. The fire alarm was said to be sounding as students walked out of the building.
Numerous Alexandria firefighters are on scene, investigating reports of a gas odor in the auditorium area, possibly coming from a rooftop heating unit, following reported heating problems in the building on Wednesday. Washington Gas is also responding to the scene.
First responders discussing letting students and staff back into an unaffected part of the building during the gas leak investigation, according to scanner traffic.
Update at 10:30 a.m. — Students have been let back into the middle school, according to ACPS.
11/21/2019 10:20 a.m. – GW Middle School has been cleared for safe re-entry by the fire department following a 30-minute evacuation due to the smell of gas. Students are resuming a normal schedule for the remainder of the day. Updates at https://t.co/SmBx3a2R2z
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) November 21, 2019
Photo via Google Maps
A building has been evacuated in Potomac Yard after construction crews struck a large gas line.
The National Industries for the Blind building was evacuated and E. Glebe Road closed between Main Line Blvd and Potomac Avenue due to concerns about the escaping natural gas. Alexandria police and firefighters are on the scene, awaiting crews from Washington Gas to shut off the line.
A slight natural gas smell was also reported in the nearby Potomac Yard Target store, according to scanner traffic.
Employees are being allowed back into the NIB building, but those who do not feel comfortable doing so are being allowed to take unscheduled leave, we’re told.
Vernon Miles contributed to this report