(Updated at 10 a.m.) A suspected gas leak has prompted the evacuation of George Washington Middle School.
The school at 1005 Mount Vernon Avenue, near the Braddock Road Metro station, was evacuated shortly after 9:30 a.m. amid cool (45 degree) but sunny weather, due to an odor of natural gas inside the building. The fire alarm was said to be sounding as students walked out of the building.
Numerous Alexandria firefighters are on scene, investigating reports of a gas odor in the auditorium area, possibly coming from a rooftop heating unit, following reported heating problems in the building on Wednesday. Washington Gas is also responding to the scene.
First responders discussing letting students and staff back into an unaffected part of the building during the gas leak investigation, according to scanner traffic.
Update at 10:30 a.m. — Students have been let back into the middle school, according to ACPS.
11/21/2019 10:20 a.m. – GW Middle School has been cleared for safe re-entry by the fire department following a 30-minute evacuation due to the smell of gas. Students are resuming a normal schedule for the remainder of the day. Updates at https://t.co/SmBx3a2R2z
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) November 21, 2019
Photo via Google Maps
What a busy week in Alexandria. Our top story this week was on a juvenile who was shot outside the McDonald’s at the Bradlee Shopping Center on Tuesday, Sept. 21….
Kemal Kurspahic, managing editor of Alexandria-based The Connection Newspapers and acclaimed former editor-in-chief of Oslobodjenje, Sarajevo’s daily newspaper, died last week after a stroke, Connection Newspapers reported. Kurspahic, born Dec….
August Wilson’s ‘Fences‘ might just be one of the best productions that The Little Theatre of Alexandria has put on in years. The 1985 Pulitzer Prize-winning play is a close…
This week’s Just Listed spotlights a 1 BD/1 BA condo offered through the Alexandria Flexible Homeownership Assistance Program.