Ginsburg’s collars were an iconic symbol of the justice that became particularly notable in tributes to the Supreme Court Justice after her death in 2020.
According to The Potomack Company:
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) became known for the iconic collars she wore on the bench. The Pegasus limited edition bib by Stella & Dot, hand-made of metallic feathers sewn to silk organza cascade, was said to be one of her favorite collars. She chose to wear it for the official 2018 Supreme Court justices photograph, which was taken her first day back after recovering from a fall that fractured her ribs. The collar sent the unspoken – but very clear – message that the justice was back in action and ready for duty. When previously asked when there will be enough women on the court, she replied, “When there are nine.”
The starting bid is $100,000 and it is estimated to sell for between $200,000-400,000.
The company noted that four of her collars are in museums, including another iconic lace collar.
“This Pegasus collar was featured in a Time magazine commemorative article not long after Ginsburg died in 2020, and will be included in the forthcoming book, ‘The Collars of RBG: A Portrait of Justice’ by Elinor Carucci and Sara Bader,” the auction house wrote. “Time called the justice a fashion pioneer, stating she subtly encoded ‘meaning in her dress.’ The Ginsburg family shared details with Time about the collars represented in the article.”
The auction house previously handled the sale of Ginsburg’s art and other memorabilia.
“This lace fragment worn by George Washington is accompanied by a small handwritten note outlining its provenance tying Martha Washington to a story of artistic intrigue,” the company wrote.
“The note states, ‘This piece of lace was cut from a shirt of Gen. Washington, which was given by Mrs. Washington to Gilbert Stuart, that he might copy the ruffle, in a portrait of the Gen.'”
The current bid is $800, with the item estimated to sell for between $1,500-2,500.
Dessert collection of White House Pastry Chef up for auction in Alexandria – “Coming up soon, this fall, The Potomack Company in Alexandria will be auctioning [Roland] Mesnier’s dessert mold collection, which includes molds used to create peach sorbet for Princess Diana in 1985, as well as molds for dessert centerpieces such as a large American bald eagle, the Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, the Queen of England’s coach and many others that honored kings and queens, prime ministers and governors.” [Alexandria Living]
City launches Unified Planning Team — “In one of the first major plan alignment efforts of the city, the leadership of [the Alexandria City Public Schools system, the Health Department and Department of Community and Human Services], with support from the Alexandria City Council and the ACPS School Board, agreed to the establishment of a Unified Planning Team to jointly develop the three plans.” [Zebra]
Centenarian celebration on July 30 — “Know an Alexandria resident who will be 100 years old or older by Dec 31? Alexandria centenarians will be honored and recognized for their lifetime experiences and achievements. The deadline for submissions is July 30.” [Twitter]
Today’s weather — “Partly cloudy early with thunderstorms becoming likely during the afternoon. High 89F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%… Isolated thunderstorms during the evening, becoming fair overnight. Low 68F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.” [Weather.com]
New job: Ghost tour guide — “US Ghost Adventures, a national tour operation is seeking energetic storytellers to lead 90-minute walking tour groups downtown. This part-time position is ideal for self-motivated candidates looking for a fun way to make extra income in the evenings.” [Indeed]
Northam Says Northern Virginia Will Ease Restrictions More Slowly — “Northam said that more information about ‘how this will work’ for Northern Virginia localities will be released on Wednesday.” [Reston Now]
Metro Phased Reopening Plan Includes Face Mask Requirement for Riders — “In the first phase, trains will run every 20 minutes and buses will operate on a Sunday schedule. Service will ramp up slowly from there. All riders will need to wear masks to board a bus or train in the WMATA system. (Right now, that’s just a recommendation and request, according to Metro’s website.)” [Alexandria Living]
Alexandria Salon Owner Cautions Against Reopening — “My colleagues and I think the Governor’s plan to allow salons to open is dangerous and shortsighted. It’s also worth mentioning that it seems the overwhelming majority with opposite opinion aren’t the professionals who have to do this work, based on the engagements I’ve had and observed in the comments section of the Governor’s Live streams. While that may not be an effective means of data collection, I think it speaks volumes– we are being excluded from the conversation about our own industries and our own lives.” [Alexandria Living]
DASH Adds Digital Displays for Riders at Bus Stops — “Thanks to the I-395 Commuter Choice funding, DASH is adding new digital displays to stops on the AT1 and AT9 to improve riders’ experience during essential travel. These signs display real time bus arrival information and helpful alerts.” [Facebook]
Scholarship Fund of Alexandria Online Auction Open Until May 30 — “We have received MORE THAN 150 Fantastic Auction Items, Expieriences, Packages, Gift Cards and One-of-A-Kind Opportunities from some amazing and generous local donors. This VIRTUAL SILENT Auction will help make up for our Canceled Spring Benefit Gala. ALL Proceeds Go to Helping Send T.C. Williams High School students with financial need to College.” [Facebook]
The Bishop Ireton High School Food Drive is on May 15 — “Spread the word! Looking forward to seeing you, even if for only a few minutes, socially distant. Thank you in advance!” [Facebook]
The Birchmere Reopening in June Schedules Performances in June — The upcoming schedule of performances includes Gaelic Storm, Steve Earl & The Dukes, and actor Kevin Bacon and his brother. [Facebook]
New Job: Digital Content Manager — “The Manager, Digital Content is responsible for the management and creation of content on AASLD’s (American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases) primary website and its related sites. This position will work with the Director, Digital Media to ensure AASLD’s websites are up-to-date, provide solid user experiences and follow best practices.” [Indeed]
Zebra Newspaper to Resume Printing in June — “The printing press rolls for us again in June, with your papers arriving around town and online June 8, 2020. But, the times, they are a-changin’ in terms of our distribution. We are adding more newspaper boxes to neighborhoods. If you want a box somewhere in particular, please let me know directly. You will start seeing them delivered in about 14 days.” [Zebra]
Road Paving Begins on Mount Vernon Avenue — “Mount Vernon Avenue will be under paving reconstruction for two weeks starting May 13, 2020.” [Zebra]
Taste of Del Ray, Other Community Events Canceled — “Taste of Del Ray and Well Ray in June as well as the Del Ray Music Festival will not happen in 2020. A decision on October’s Art on the Avenue, one of Del Ray’s largest events, has not been made. Art on the Avenue typically draws 75,000 people.” [Patch]
Former Councilman Fannon Named Alexandria Living Legend — “I have always been proud of Alexandria and was very fortunate to be born in such a great community… I was raised to be civic minded and to always contribute and give back to our fellow citizens.” [Gazette]
Alexandria Has a New Fire Chief — “After a nationally competitive recruitment effort, City Manager Mark B. Jinks has appointed Corey A. Smedley as fire chief for the City of Alexandria, effective immediately. Chief Smedley, who has served as acting fire chief since the retirement of Robert C. Dubé in June, will be the first African American to serve as permanent fire chief in Alexandria’s history.” [City of Alexandria]
Dog’s Artwork Sells at Auction — “A new artist has captured the attention of local art lovers selling 20 pieces of art in less than an hour at an auction. All it took has a little tail wagging, and the dog nicknamed Ricasso had a collection of masterpieces. Rico, a dog staying at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria for 15 months, raised more than $4,000 to help shelter pets like him at the sold-out Dec. 6 event.” [Patch]
ACPS Year in Review — Alexandria City Public Schools has released a video recounting some of the top local school-related headlines of 2019. [ACPS]