Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Expect a mostly sunny day with temperatures nearing 64°F, accompanied by light winds that will shift to the south at 5-7 mph in the afternoon. Moving into Monday night, the skies will be mostly cloudy and the temperature will drop to about 53°F, with south winds blowing at 6-9 mph.
🚨 You need to know
Alexandria City Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt released her $314 million Capital Improvement Program budget last week.
According to ACPS:
Over the past decade, ACPS has secured a significant $558.9 million in CIP funds. While $60 million remains unallocated, it is designated for future use. Roughly $40 million has been designated for specific projects, including the 1703 N. Beauregard swing space and the Minnie Howard redevelopment, both of which are slated for awarding by February 2024.
The presented budget CIP includes the following:
- Allocating resources for the modernization of George Mason Elementary School.
- Continued capital investment planning for Cora Kelly School for Math, Science & Technology.
- Enhancing the ACPS transportation facility through modernization efforts.
- Providing funding for improvements to exterior playgrounds and sports areas.
- Sustaining ongoing upgrades and replacements of building systems, as needed within specific facilities.
The School Board will conduct its public hearing on the matter on Nov. 13, followed by the Board’s adoption on Dec. 14.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Nov 3, 2023.
- Alexandria locations swept up in regional property management lawsuit over artificially inflated rent (3620 views)
- Alexandria-area man pleads guilty to stealing $1.5 million in PPP loans and unemployment benefits (2427 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- The Royal Cafe and Restaurant Sells to Restaurant Group After 120 Years of Family Ownership
Zebra (Sunday @ 7:39 pm)
- Animal Welfare League of Alexandria Offers Virtual Dog Training at Low Cost
Zebra (Sunday @ 5:36 pm)
- Remote Warfare Clashes with Humanity in Grounded at the Kennedy Center
Zebra (Friday @ 8:49 pm)
- What’s Open, Closed For 2023 Election, Veterans Day In Alexandria
Patch (Friday @ 4:41 pm)
- Real Talk: Deck the halls, and call your Realtor
Alexandria Times (Friday @ 4:36 pm)
- Board of Architectural Review-Legal Notice of a Public Hearing
Alexandria Times (Friday @ 4:00 pm)
- Alexandria’s Zoning For Housing Endorsed By Planning Commission
Patch (Friday @ 3:35 pm)
- City of Alexandria Wins NAACP Service Award
Zebra (Friday @ 12:34 pm)
- Infant Mortality Rate Rises For 1st Time In 20 Years: See VA Data
Patch (Friday @ 12:22 pm)
- Alexandria Schools’ Capital Improvement Budget of $313M Will Upgrade George Mason Elementary, Sports Fields, and Playhrounds
Zebra (Friday @ 10:44 am)
- Del Ray’s Dog Bar To Transform Under New Ownership
Patch (Friday @ 10:43 am)
- 2023 Alexandria Film Festival Kicks Off Nov. 10
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:45 am)
- The Seedling Collective to Close
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:31 am)
- 2023 Alexandria Holiday Events Guide
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:09 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26