Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Expect sunshine and a high of around 59 degrees, accompanied by a south wind between 5 and 8 mph. Friday night will be clear, with a low temperature near 39 degrees and a south wind at around 6 mph.
🚨 You need to know
Rep. Don Beyer (D) is going to bat for his party’s mascot with new legislation to ban the sale and trade donkey-hide gelatin, otherwise known as ejiao, ARLnow reported.
There isn’t much ejiao sale in the United States, but the Animal Welfare Institute argued the law should have a tangible domestic impact and lay the groundwork for other nations to shut down ejiao sales.
Beyer also reintroduced the Humane Cosmetics Act, which aims to curb animal testing for cosmetics.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Nov 2, 2023.
- UPDATED: Power restored after widespread outage from Seminary Hill to Del Ray (6660 views)
- Police: Two separate commercial robberies reported across Alexandria last night (4905 views)
- Alexandria’s polarizing Zoning For Housing plan unanimously endorsed by Planning Commission (3860 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Election Day Checklist for Alexandria Voters
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:19 pm)
- The struggle for suffrage
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:59 pm)
- Parades, Concerts and More Planned for Holiday Season in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:51 pm)
- Your dog ate something toxic: What’s next?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:48 pm)
- Keeping the trail beautiful for all
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:19 pm)
- Week of November 2
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:12 pm)
- Preparing for disaster: Ensure your pets are taken care of in any situation
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:56 pm)
- Mount Vernon Neighborhood Favorite Via Veneto Soon Saying Arrivederci After 39 Years
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:46 pm)
- Bomb threat deemed not credible at ACHS
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:41 pm)
- Cricket Club Grows in Popularity at Alexandria City High School
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:15 pm)
- Coal Tar Remediation Addressed In Alexandria Settlement
Patch (Thursday @ 2:20 pm)
- COVID Relief Fraud Prompts Alexandria Man’s Guilty Plea
Patch (Thursday @ 1:00 pm)
- City of Alexandria Works to Address Demand for EV Charging Stations
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:42 pm)
- About Alexandria with Mark Eaton: We’re all human, give them a break
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:34 am)
- City Charter does not authorize ZFH
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:29 am)
- Possible benefits versus certain costs
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:24 am)
- Alexandria High School Student’s Killing Leads To Sentence
Patch (Thursday @ 9:45 am)
- ‘The easy choice’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:43 am)
- ‘A fresh perspective’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:30 am)
- Respiratory virus outlook for this fall and winter
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:29 am)
- Barkhaus, Bark Social Merge
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:50 am)
- Close to Home: The paintings make the difference
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:00 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am Friday: Encore Stage & Studio’s Holiday Mini-Camp & Play in a Day – The Wizard of Oz
- 4:30 pm Saturday: Sound Bath and Guided Meditation (Yoga Nidra
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26