It’s been a busy week in Alexandria.
Alexandria City Public Schools is facing a staffing crisis, with the school division struggling to fill basic instructional positions. The city is working on a solution that could help streamline the onboarding process.
Meanwhile, Alexandria’s Mayor lamented the waste of $1.8 million in Taylor and Strawberry Run projects.
“That’s $1.8 million that we spent on these two projects and we essentially have nothing for that,” Wilson said at a City Council meeting. “We had a lot of planning, a lot of meetings, a lot of discussion with the community, and that’s great, but we don’t have a lot else.”
Similarly, city staff are trying to make the best of a bad situation with Eisenhower Avenue and Mill Road, where the city recently completed a project that’s at least a decade out of touch with current city transportation planning — but was too expensive to cancel.
The most-read stories this week were:
- Parents decry ‘staffing crisis’ in Alexandria City Public Schools (8451 views)
- Alexandria looking for state help to fix its dangerous T-intersections (6672 views)
- BREAKING: Foot pursuit ends with arrest in Del Ray apartment building (5605 views)
- Marijuana is now a banned substance in Alexandria City Public Schools (5256 views)
- Port City brings back ale celebrating Alexandria’s most iconic mystery (4740 views)
- City staff reflect on one of Alexandria’s most bizarre and troubled transportation projects (3869 views)
- Tour d’Alexandria bike ride rolling into town later this month (3697 views)
- Del Ray hardware store owner wants to sell by the end of the year (3004 views)
- Notes: Schools and business owners say unrest at Bradlee Shopping Center has settled in recent months (2983 views)
- Convicted felon arrested in Del Ray for alleged weapon, drug possession and wearing a mask (2913 views)
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26