Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. North wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. At night: Mostly clear, with a low around 51. North wind 3 to 7 mph.
🚨 You need to know
Three Alexandria City High School Students got a nod from C-SPAN for their work on a short documentary about human trafficking.
Three other students, Gryphon Magnus, Mia Mervis, Ben Delnegro and Sarah McBurney, participated in the broadcast news category of the SkillsUSA’s television/media production competition, according to Issmar Ventura, a media relations specialist with Alexandria City Public Schools. The students placed first at the district level and second at the state level.
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 24, 2023.
- Gostov Boulangerie & Brasserie opening May 30 in Del Ray (973 views)
- What to do if your Confederate-honoring Alexandria street gets renamed? (933 views)
- Notes: Alexandria launches questionnaire for new housing zoning overhaul (915 views)
- Upcoming Alexandria and American birthday celebrations could bring more tall ships (321 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Taste of Del Ray Set for Sunday, June 4
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 5:09 pm)
- Memorial Day 2023: What’s Open, Closed Around Alexandria
Patch (Wednesday @ 4:03 pm)
- Pride Fair Kicks Off LGBTQ+ Pride Month in Alexandria June 3
Zebra (Wednesday @ 2:44 pm)
- Confederate-Named Street Renaming Process Outlined For 41 Streets
Patch (Wednesday @ 2:44 pm)
- Alexandria Area Teacher a Contestant on MasterChef Season 13
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 2:41 pm)
- Auditions Open for ‘The Little Mermaid Jr.’ Play with the Alexandria Children’s Theatre
Zebra (Wednesday @ 2:10 pm)
- The Good Kind of Inflation: Big Bounce America Pops Up in Washington DC Area!
Zebra (Wednesday @ 9:56 am)
- Taste Of Del Ray 2023 Participating Restaurants Announced
Patch (Wednesday @ 9:32 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
It was another busy week in Alexandria. The fallout of Wilson’s announcement that he would not run for reelection continues, with two City Council members — Vice Mayor Amy Jackson…
A small but dedicated team of volunteers spent last Saturday clearing trash from Holmes Run near the Charles Beatley Library. The City of Alexandria celebrated twelve volunteers who helped in…
With the advent of virtual learning in public schools during the Covid pandemic, it seemed like snow days would become a thing of the past. In late 2021, Alexandria said…
A 4 BD/4.5 BA brick townhome with four finished levels, multiple fireplaces and a brick patio is included in Just Listed.
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.