Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Passing showers. Cloudy. Mild. High of 73 and low of 57.
☔ Tomorrow: Passing showers. Overcast. Mild. High of 75 and low of 56. Sunrise at 5:52 am and sunset at 8:17 pm.
🚨 You need to know
For over 20 years Gloria Flanagan worked in the Alexandria Small Business Development Center (SBDC) to help get local businesses better access to city services.
The SBDC announced earlier this week that Flanagan has died.
According to the SBDC:
We are heartbroken today to share that our friend and colleague Gloria Flanagan has passed away. For more than 20 years, Gloria was the first person hundreds of Alexandria small business owners met when they reached out to the Alexandria SBDC for help starting or growing their business. Her deep knowledge of the City and her unending passion for helping entrepreneurs on their journey made a profound difference on the small business community here, and we are so grateful that Alexandria is where she chose to make her home and devote her professional life.
Gloria was a loving and devoted mother, proudly sharing stories about her children with us daily. Our deepest condolences go to Billy, Jim, and Kerry. Thank you for sharing your mom with the SBDC.
If you would like to share a memory of an interaction with Gloria or how she helped your business, please write a comment here or fill out this form.
You can also email photos to [email protected]. We will be sharing responses with her family as they prepare for her memorial services. We will also honor Gloria and her contributions to the Alexandria small business community, and we will share those plans as soon as we can.
Thank you, Gloria, for everything. We’ll miss you.
Image via SBDC/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 18, 2023.
- No arrest after gun displayed during argument at Potomac Yard Shopping Center (1402 views)
- Office of Historic Alexandria provides guide to city’s Confederate street names ahead of renaming (1267 views)
- Notes: Agenda Alexandria to discuss uptick in gun-related crime on Monday | ALXnow (423 views)
- Alexandria School Board to present Council with staggered terms proposal this fall (225 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- PHOTOS: Chamber ALX, City Leaders Gather for Breakfast to Discuss Future of Economic Development
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:08 pm)
- Love on the water:
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:58 pm)
- Burgundy athlete breaks record
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:31 pm)
- Scholarship Fund raises $600k
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:27 pm)
- D-Day Commemoration planned
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:24 pm)
- Davis named OHA division director
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:22 pm)
- Zoning for housing community meetings
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:19 pm)
- AHS celebrates Jewish history in Northern VA
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:16 pm)
- Young girl shot, ‘secure status’ implemented
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:10 pm)
- Board of Zoning Appeals Work Session and Public Hearing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:01 pm)
- Alexandria Planning Commission- Legal Notice
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:00 pm)
- Council endorses power plant redevelopment: Unanimously approves sustainability plan
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:00 pm)
- Alexandria Planning & Zoning Administrative Review Legal Notice
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:58 pm)
- Alexandria’s Mayor Receives Livable Communities Leadership Award
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:32 pm)
- ACPS WEAPONS DETECTORS INSTALLED
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:22 pm)
- SRO agreement slated for vote
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:16 pm)
- Crime In Alexandria To Be Discussed At Next Agenda Alexandria Forum
Patch (Thursday @ 2:33 pm)
- Man Missing Since December Sought By Alexandria Police
Patch (Thursday @ 2:07 pm)
- The Crazy Amazing World of the Dearly Departed Rocks the National Theatre in ‘Beetlejuice’
Zebra (Thursday @ 1:59 pm)
- Esser Funds Public Hearing Legal Notice
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:13 pm)
- City Hill Watch with Bill Rossello: Coveting the land we live on
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:39 am)
- Dos Hermanos Opens in Del Ray
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:31 am)
- Your View: New Metro station is an ugly scar
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:29 am)
- Our View: When the process works
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:23 am)
- Storage solutions: Creative fixes to maximize space in your home
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:20 am)
- Aging unbound: Challenging the narrative on aging
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:15 am)
- In a pickle? A sport has taken the nation by storm and Alexandria is in on the action
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:11 am)
- High time for high tea: A new restaurant on Old Town’s waterfront serves up wedding inspiration
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:06 am)
- Preserving Alexandria’s charm: Historic Alexandria Foundation legacy endures
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:58 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
Good Thursday morning, Alexandria! 🌤️ Today’s weather: Expect a mostly cloudy day with a high temperature around 46°F accompanied by a southwest wind blowing at 5 to 9 mph. The…
Alexandria Natural Resources Manager Rod Simmons has been a prominent voice for environmental concerns around the city in recent years, but Simmons told ALXnow that battles behind the scenes have…
Mutual respect, growth, and an ability to be vulnerable: That’s the kind of relationship retiring Alexandria Fire Chief Corey Smedley wants with his next job, wherever that might be. Smedley…
A 48-year-old Alexandria man was charged last month with illegally discharging a firearm in his back yard in the Potomac West neighborhood of Alexandria. The incident allegedly occurred on Wednesday,…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.