Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Light rain. Increasing cloudiness. Cool. High of 59 and low of 46.
☔ Tomorrow: Sprinkles. Overcast. Cool. High of 56 and low of 48. Sunrise at 6:09 am and sunset at 8:00 pm.
🚨 You need to know
The Alexandria Library hosted its first Black Family Reunion event this weekend as part of an effort to help fill in the gaps in the city’s history.
The event aimed to bring neighborhoods together and help put together documents on genealogical records, tracing back some of the deep family roots in Alexandria.
The Washington Post reported that over 1,000 photographs were submitted before the events and hundreds came out to the gathering on Queen Street to participate in the event.
The program was boosted by Bill Euille, Alexandria’s first Black mayor, and Char McCargo Bah, an Alexandria Living Legend who has done extensive work on Black history and genealogy in Alexandria.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 28, 2023.
- Cut-through no more: Duke Street changes yield significant results for nearby residential streets (11302 views)
- Notes: Flight path changes should cut down on helicopter noise for Alexandria and neighbors (1236 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria (1132 views)
- City Council endorses EPA regulations to rid ‘forever chemicals’ from Alexandria’s drinking water (733 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Burke & Herbert Bank Now Trades on Nasdaq
Zebra (Saturday @ 6:09 pm)
- Less Helicopter Noise in Alexandria, Thanks to Flight Path Adjustments
Zebra (Saturday @ 3:20 pm)
- New Minnie Howard Campus ‘Topping-Out’ in Alexandria a Huge Success
Zebra (Friday @ 6:09 pm)
- Alexandria High School Campus Project Reaches Major Milestone
Patch (Friday @ 4:03 pm)
- Oakville: New INOVA Health Center Serving Alexandria Held ‘Topping Out’ Ceremony April 26
Zebra (Friday @ 2:23 pm)
- Adopt A Shelter Pet Day: Cats And Dogs Need Homes In Alexandria
Patch (Friday @ 1:56 pm)
- Bite Back Against Mosquitoes in Alexandria With Project No Bites
Zebra (Friday @ 1:49 pm)
- Top Contributors Honored by Volunteer Alexandria
Zebra (Friday @ 1:38 pm)
- Alexandria Coworking Space, ALX Community, Holds Surprise Appreciation Day
Zebra (Friday @ 11:25 am)
- For Sale: Alexandria Home of John and Jackie Kennedy’s Personal Secretary in Desirable Belle Haven Neighborhood for Less than a Million
Zebra (Friday @ 11:03 am)
- Alexandria Crime Prevention Technology In Federal Funding Request
Patch (Friday @ 10:16 am)
- Hershey: Sweet as Candy
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:41 am)
- Inova Health Center – Oakville ‘Tops Out’
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:31 am)
- Duke Street In Motion Seeks Additional Feedback
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:05 am)
- Korn Dog arrives in Pentagon City Fashion Centre Food Court on April 29
Zebra (Friday @ 5:03 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
Like 1799 Prime Steak and Seafood, Hotel AKA (625 First Street) in Old Town North is heading to city review for a permit to dramatically upscale some courtyard seating. The…
Alexandria’s DASH bus network isn’t the only transit agency going through changes: the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Better Bus initiative could impact Alexandria riders. Route 10B runs from Ballston…
More details have been released on the method the former general manager of Hank’s Oyster Bar in Old Town used to allegedly steal $600,000 from the company. The 53-year-old former…
Ask McEnearney discusses home inspection issues and which issues would be a deal breaker.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on