Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Showery. Overcast. Cool. High of 57 and low of 55.
☔ Tomorrow: Isolated tstorms. Overcast. Mild. High of 64 and low of 55. Sunrise at 6:13 am and sunset at 7:57 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Alexandrians should be hearing less helicopter noise thanks to some changes at the federal level.
Earlier this week, Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) announced changes to flight paths for helicopters to try and cut down on noise issues — particularly for helicopters coming to and from the Pentagon.
The change comes after years of noise complaints and community input. A system for logging complaints will remain, though, so residents can continue filing complaints if helicopter noise remains an issue.
“Since I took office over eight years ago, helicopter noise has been a constant source of complaints from constituents across Northern Virginia,” Beyer said in a statement. “Here in the nation’s capital with military, medical, commercial and other aviation, aircraft noise will always be with us — but there are things we can do to help reduce the impact on residents.”
Flickr pool photo by Jeff Sonderman
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 27, 2023.
- Police investigating armed carjacking in Old Town, vehicle recovered in Fairfax (3214 views)
- Coastal Flood Watch issued for Alexandria (868 views)
- Notes: Alexandria City High School expansion hits construction milestone (834 views)
- Most and least expensive homes sold in Alexandria (Mar-Apr 2023) (405 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- It’s Open! Retired Councilwoman Del Pepper Cuts Ribbon of New 10-Story Del Pepper Community Resource Center in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:45 pm)
- Alexandria Schools Principal Named Washington Post’s Principal of the Year
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:19 pm)
- Ethical Reflections with Rev. Ian Markham: Living well: The mystery of our choices
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:14 pm)
- Lower Water Utility Rate Increase Approved For Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 4:09 pm)
- Your View: The city chose the wrong Metro site
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:07 pm)
- Your View: We must protect what natural resources we have left
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:03 pm)
- Our View: When we don’t want to know
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:59 pm)
- Health and Wellness: Breast cancer screenings: The National Breast Center Foundation provides access for all
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:53 pm)
- Upgrade your remote workspace: Quick fixes to make working from home functional and fabulous
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:45 pm)
- Real Talk: Is it time to sell?: Considerations for homeowners who are reluctant to downsize
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:40 pm)
- There’s something about Mary: ‘Mary Stuart’ debuts at the LTA
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:31 pm)
- Beam me up
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:17 pm)
- New café brewing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:12 pm)
- Volunteer organization wins award
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:09 pm)
- AWLA recgonized as a Certified Autism Center
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:04 pm)
- Warner Maritime Center arrives
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:59 pm)
- City readies for Metro ribbon-cutting; Environmentalists seek post-remediation soil reports, lament wetlands destruction
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:53 pm)
- Jet’s Pizza will Provide Detroit-Style Pizzas at 6 E. Glebe Rd. near Potomac Yards
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:35 pm)
- APD responds to shots fired…and citizens
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:42 am)
- Policing in Alexandria and America: Public safety leaders discuss approaches to chronic, vexing issues
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:37 am)
- Spring2Action Giving For Alexandria Nonprofits Tops $2.8 Million
Patch (Thursday @ 10:17 am)
- Record Breaking $2.8M Raised for Alexandria Nonprofits in 24 hours During Spring2ACTion
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:16 am)
- Jet’s Pizza to Open in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:43 am)
- Spring2ACTion Raises $2.83 Million for Local Nonprofits, Organizations
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:23 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am Saturday: Alx Dog Walk
- 👉 11:00 am Saturday: Alexandria Library Black Family Reunion
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on