Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Light rain. Cloudy. Mild. High of 67 and low of 49.
☔ Tomorrow: Heavy rain. Overcast. Cool. High of 56 and low of 54. Sunrise at 6:14 am and sunset at 7:56 pm.
🚨 You need to know
The final structural beam was put in place for the expanded Alexandria City High School Minnie Howard Campus earlier this week.
The laying of the last beam represents a milestone in the construction of the expansion project, which will increase the school’s capacity to 1,600 students and change the school from just 9th-grade students to all high school grades.
The project broke ground last March and is scheduled to open in the 2024-2025 school year.
This morning we held a topping out ceremony to celebrate a major milestone in the construction of the new Minnie Howard campus. pic.twitter.com/GizY9gQv8p
— Canek Aguirre (@CanekForCouncil) April 26, 2023
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 26, 2023.
- Alexandria Police unveil strategy to combat crime surge (1078 views)
- Alexandria officials say some property owners discriminating over eviction assistance (741 views)
- No bond for Fairfax County man arrested for West End shooting and allegedly eluding police (736 views)
- Detroit-style pizza chain coming to Lynhaven (477 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Major Construction Milestone Met At Inova’s Oakville Triangle Facility
Patch (Wednesday @ 3:00 pm)
- Alexandria Ranked Third Best City For Local Food In U.S.
Patch (Wednesday @ 12:51 pm)
- ALX Dog Walk, More Spring Events Coming Up in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 10:05 am)
- Helicopter Noise In Northern Virginia Tackled Through New Measures
Patch (Wednesday @ 9:52 am)
- Quieter Nights: Helicopter Noise Mitigation Measures Start
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 7:13 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
Douglass Memorial Cemetery (1421 Wilkes Street) has long suffered flooding and neglect, but the City of Alexandria said plans to address issues at the cemetery will be presented at a…
A new development at 1604-1614 King Street, sharing a similar name with a London locale and a mediocre Overwatch map, could see a group of new condos built a stone’s…
After a flurry of activity, the Del Ray Christmas tree is finally at home at Pat Miller Neighborhood Square. The 32-foot-tall Fraser fir was lifted by a crane and installed…
French and Italian tableware and home goods boutique Crème de la Crème will open at 907 King Street in March. The Middleburg-based retailer recently signed a five-year lease with building…
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26
The Georgetown Visitation Masqueraders proudly present
Descendants The Musical