Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Light rain. Increasing cloudiness. Mild. High of 66 and low of 43.
🌥 Tomorrow: Overcast. Mild. High of 65 and low of 49. Sunrise at 6:15 am and sunset at 7:55 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Mount Vernon Community School’s principal Liza Burrell-Aldana was named by The Washington Post as the region’s Principal of the Year.
In a profile of Burrell-Aldana, the Post described her cheerful approach to overcoming obstacles, an attitude that ripples out across the faculty and students.
Burrell-Aldana became principal of the school in 2017 and the Post cited her leadership steering the school through the coronavirus pandemic and a building renovation, all while student test scores climbed at the school and she maintained staff consistency in a time of high turnover.
According to the Post:
Since becoming principal in 2017, Burrell-Aldana has led her school through a global pandemic and a building renovation, all while improving student test scores and maintaining her staff during a time of high turnover in education.
Her colleagues credit her ability to communicate effectively. “She’s calm. She’s cool. She communicates a clear message. You don’t have to have a decoder ring to know what she’s thinking,” Porterfield said.
Photo via Mount Vernon Community School/Facebook
📈 Tuesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 25, 2023.
- Alexandria public school enrollment stagnation puts scrutiny on capacity-boosting projects (1003 views)
- Suspect arrested after man shot in the neck in West End | ALXnow (874 views)
- Planning Commission could exorcise sign requirements for new Arlandria ghost kitchen (205 views)
- Notes: Volunteer organization cleaning Mount Vernon Trail wins environmental award (91 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Modern Style And Private Deck Featured At 1915 Alexandria Home
Patch (Tuesday @ 5:07 pm)
- Alexandria’s Animal Welfare League Is Certified Autism Center, Becomes First U.S. Animal Welfare Organization to Earn Designation
Zebra (Tuesday @ 4:36 pm)
- Old Town Alexandria Business Owner To Open New Toy Store
Patch (Tuesday @ 3:31 pm)
- Alexandria Students Win International Math Competition, Earn $20K in College Scholarships
Zebra (Tuesday @ 2:55 pm)
- Meet Prince: This Young Pup Is Looking for a Home With Lots of Activity and a Big Yard
Zebra (Tuesday @ 1:02 pm)
- Metro Opening Day Set for Friday, May 19
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 11:09 am)
- Alexandria Beautification Commission Seeks 2023 Beautification Award Nominees
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 11:01 am)
- City of Alexandria to Host RecFest
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 10:54 am)
- Alexandria School Principal Named Washington Post Principal Of Year
Patch (Tuesday @ 10:50 am)
- 12 Virginia Schools Named In U.S. News 2023-24 Grad School Ranking
Patch (Tuesday @ 9:53 am)
- Nationally Acclaimed YA Author Ebony LaDelle Hosting Virtual Talk with Alexandria Library
Zebra (Tuesday @ 8:51 am)
- Businesses, Organizations Support Spring2ACTion with Parties, Discounts
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:49 am)
- Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail Wins Environmental Award
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:29 am)
- Spring2ACTion: Support Local Nonprofits Wednesday
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:19 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on