Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Sunny and warm. High of 88 and low of 58.
☔ Tomorrow: Heavy rain late. Cloudy. Mild. High of 76 and low of 55. Sunrise at 6:22 am and sunset at 7:51 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Old Town crafting store fibre space (1319 Prince Street) is hosting its annual “samples sale” to benefit local nonprofit Friends of Guest House.
While the store typically only sells yarn and other raw materials, the samples sale is one of the few opportunities to buy hand-knitted and crocheted items from the store. The sale runs from noon to 2 p.m. tomorrow (Saturday).
“We do this once a year and it’s become a big hit since ppl always want to buy our shop samples and they aren’t usually for sale,” said owner Danielle Romanetti.
The sale includes items handmade by locals but never worn and donated to the store.
The sale is part of Spring2Action, an annual charity event in Alexandria. All proceeds go to Friends of Guest House, a local organization that helps women reenter the community after incarceration.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 20, 2023.
- JUST IN: Police responding to bank robbery in Old Town (7299 views)
- Police: Four juveniles arrested after allegedly eluding police in stolen car (1504 views)
- Notes: Del Ray restaurant hosting hot wing eating contest this weekend (622 views)
- Smallest and largest homes sold in Alexandria (Mar-Apr 2023) (252 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- A Splendiferous ‘Aladdin’ Wows Audiences at the National Theatre
Zebra (Thursday @ 8:15 pm)
- City Hall Watch with Bill Rossello: What’s the rush?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:33 pm)
- A trustworthy process
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:25 pm)
- Your View: Keep the current School Board election process
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:08 pm)
- Our View: Houston, we have a problem
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:04 pm)
- Our View: Setting an example
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:02 pm)
- Breakout bathroom brainstorms: Innovative ways to incorporate unexpected design into your bathroom
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:58 pm)
- Seniors: Managing chronic disease: Commit to improving your quality of life by finding help
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:11 pm)
- Public Hearing on an Appeal of a Decision of the Board of Architectural Review
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:06 pm)
- New luxury hotel to open in Old Town
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:05 pm)
- Board of Architectural Review – Notice of a Public Hearing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:04 pm)
- Alexandria Planning Commission & City Council Public Hearings
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:03 pm)
- Athenaeum to host award winning poet
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:13 pm)
- Around the world for 46 years
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:13 pm)
- GardenFest to be held Sunday
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:03 pm)
- Shootings and larcenies continue
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:43 pm)
- Shooting incidents cause school lockdowns
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:38 pm)
- Inside the Taylor Run restoration
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:35 pm)
- Earth Day 2023 In Alexandria: GardenFest, More Things To Do
Patch (Thursday @ 11:22 am)
- Commercial Robbery Prompts Police Response In Old Town Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 10:48 am)
- Potomac Yard Metro Station Opening May 19 in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:40 am)
- Stolen Vehicle Leads To Arrests Of Juveniles In Alexandria: Police
Patch (Thursday @ 9:34 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 8:30 am Saturday: National Psoriasis Foundation Community Conference
- 👉 10:00 am Saturday: Living Earth Festival 2023: Native Nations Confronting Climate Change
Like 1799 Prime Steak and Seafood, Hotel AKA (625 First Street) in Old Town North is heading to city review for a permit to dramatically upscale some courtyard seating. The…
Alexandria’s DASH bus network isn’t the only transit agency going through changes: the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Better Bus initiative could impact Alexandria riders. Route 10B runs from Ballston…
More details have been released on the method the former general manager of Hank’s Oyster Bar in Old Town used to allegedly steal $600,000 from the company. The 53-year-old former…
Ask McEnearney discusses home inspection issues and which issues would be a deal breaker.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on