Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Possible light rain in the afternoon and evening. High of 56 and low of 44.
⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of 55 and low of 43. Sunrise at 7:00 am and sunset at 7:28 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Elaine’s Restaurant at 208 Queen Street, the late Bilbo Baggins, opens this week and brings a taste of Egypt to Old Town Alexandria, Zebra first reported.
Zebra reported in a profile of the new restaurant that it is named after co-owner Cynthia Higgins’ grandmother, who taught Cynthia to cook when growing up in Alexandria (Egypt) and Cairo.
One of Zebra’s main recommendations was ful medames, a traditional Alexandria stew with cooked fava beans served in olive oil, cumin and various herbs and spices. The restaurant will also feature a variety of vegetarian and vegan entrees.
Zebra noted that both co-owners are published authors and the second floor will be a library, featuring literary events like monthly author interviews and writers’ book launches.
Elaine’s Restaurant is scheduled to open Wednesday, March 29.
Image via Elaine’s Restaurant/Facebook
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 24, 2023.
- Notes: Italian restaurant closing in Del Ray | ALXnow (7077 views)
- Nearly $60,000 raised for Alexandria bartender shot in attempted carjacking (4077 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria (303 views)
- New Waterfront art installation celebrating nautical history debuts tomorrow (202 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria VA Meets Alexandria Egypt
Zebra (Saturday @ 4:55 pm)
- Nando’s is Clucking Good Food!
Zebra (Saturday @ 3:36 pm)
- Chicken and Spice Returning to Alexandria: Nando’s Opening March 27
Zebra (Saturday @ 12:18 pm)
- Spring Road Trip! What’s New in Travel Near Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Saturday @ 11:24 am)
- Sondheim’s Pacific Overtures Brings Magical Realism to Japanese Culture at Signature Theatre
Zebra (Friday @ 8:47 pm)
- Nando’s Moves To Alexandria’s Carlyle Neighborhood
Patch (Friday @ 5:03 pm)
- Nectar Coffee and Wine Bistro Owner Continues With Cleaning Business
Patch (Friday @ 4:39 pm)
- Alexandria Students Win Prestigious Award for Documentary, ‘They Are All Honored Here’
Zebra (Friday @ 3:51 pm)
- Smaller IKEA, Pickleball War, Board Pay Hike, Best Places: Top VA News
Patch (Friday @ 3:12 pm)
- Elaine’s Restaurant Brings Alexandria, Egypt To Alexandria, Virginia
Patch (Friday @ 10:41 am)
- Habibi and Speedo Look for a New Home Together
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:22 am)
- Alexandria Named a ‘Best Place to Travel’ by Money Magazine
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:15 am)
- A Hallway Between Work and Life
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:11 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on