Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Possible light rain in the afternoon and evening. High of 56 and low of 44.
⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of 55 and low of 43. Sunrise at 7:00 am and sunset at 7:28 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Zebra reported in a profile of the new restaurant that it is named after co-owner Cynthia Higgins’ grandmother, who taught Cynthia to cook when growing up in Alexandria (Egypt) and Cairo.
One of Zebra’s main recommendations was ful medames, a traditional Alexandria stew with cooked fava beans served in olive oil, cumin and various herbs and spices. The restaurant will also feature a variety of vegetarian and vegan entrees.
Zebra noted that both co-owners are published authors and the second floor will be a library, featuring literary events like monthly author interviews and writers’ book launches.
Elaine’s Restaurant is scheduled to open Wednesday, March 29.
Image via Elaine’s Restaurant/Facebook
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 24, 2023.
- Notes: Italian restaurant closing in Del Ray | ALXnow (7077 views)
- Nearly $60,000 raised for Alexandria bartender shot in attempted carjacking (4077 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria (303 views)
- New Waterfront art installation celebrating nautical history debuts tomorrow (202 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria VA Meets Alexandria Egypt
Zebra (Saturday @ 4:55 pm)
- Nando’s is Clucking Good Food!
Zebra (Saturday @ 3:36 pm)
- Chicken and Spice Returning to Alexandria: Nando’s Opening March 27
Zebra (Saturday @ 12:18 pm)
- Spring Road Trip! What’s New in Travel Near Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Saturday @ 11:24 am)
- Sondheim’s Pacific Overtures Brings Magical Realism to Japanese Culture at Signature Theatre
Zebra (Friday @ 8:47 pm)
- Nando’s Moves To Alexandria’s Carlyle Neighborhood
Patch (Friday @ 5:03 pm)
- Nectar Coffee and Wine Bistro Owner Continues With Cleaning Business
Patch (Friday @ 4:39 pm)
- Alexandria Students Win Prestigious Award for Documentary, ‘They Are All Honored Here’
Zebra (Friday @ 3:51 pm)
- Smaller IKEA, Pickleball War, Board Pay Hike, Best Places: Top VA News
Patch (Friday @ 3:12 pm)
- Elaine’s Restaurant Brings Alexandria, Egypt To Alexandria, Virginia
Patch (Friday @ 10:41 am)
- Habibi and Speedo Look for a New Home Together
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:22 am)
- Alexandria Named a ‘Best Place to Travel’ by Money Magazine
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:15 am)
- A Hallway Between Work and Life
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:11 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
It was another busy week in Alexandria. The fallout of Wilson’s announcement that he would not run for reelection continues, with two City Council members — Vice Mayor Amy Jackson…
A small but dedicated team of volunteers spent last Saturday clearing trash from Holmes Run near the Charles Beatley Library. The City of Alexandria celebrated twelve volunteers who helped in…
With the advent of virtual learning in public schools during the Covid pandemic, it seemed like snow days would become a thing of the past. In late 2021, Alexandria said…
A 4 BD/4.5 BA brick townhome with four finished levels, multiple fireplaces and a brick patio is included in Just Listed.
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.