Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Rain throughout the day. High of 60 and low of 43.
☔ Tomorrow: Windy in the morning. High of 62 and low of 45. Sunrise at 6:38 am and sunset at 6:04 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Some Alexandrians didn’t have to go a thousand miles to see Vanessa Carlton.
In the interview, Carlton talks about some of the recent challenges, from releasing an album right at the start of the Covid pandemic, and some plans for the future.
Carlton also got candid about her relationship with “A Thousand Miles” — the 2002 song that was Carlton’s biggest hit. She told the Alexandria Times the song is sort of the “elephant in the room” during most concerts, so Carlton generally opens with it so the audience can get settled and focus afterward on the other music.
The full interview is available at the Alexandria Times website.
Photo via Vanessa Carlton/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 2, 2023.
- High-rise West End office building converted into 212-unit apartment tower (2649 views)
- Notes: Massive Braddock affordable housing project gets City Council approval (2244 views)
- Most and least expensive homes sold in Alexandria (Feb-Mar 2023) | ALXnow (606 views)
- Inova wants 250-foot height allowance for its Hospital at Landmark project (516 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- 🌱 Medical Campus Coming To West End + AWLA Fun Dog Show
Patch (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Burke Killings Lead To Second Conviction For Alexandria Man
Patch (Thursday @ 4:25 pm)
- Meet Adoptable Pet Rosie, Attend Fun Dog Show In Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 2:56 pm)
- Remembering the unthinkable after a decade
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:42 pm)
- About Alexandria with Mark Eaton: Using a sledgehammer to swat a fly
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:04 pm)
- Vanessa Carlton to play the Birchmere
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:59 pm)
- Your Views: Density policies, high taxes raise housing prices
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:48 pm)
- Your Views: Reaching Alexandria’s marginalized residents
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:42 pm)
- Our View: Change the verdict
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:34 pm)
- Trendy colors to reflect a comforting life
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:29 pm)
- Why is my dog barking?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:20 pm)
- LTA’s ‘Lettice and Lovage’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:09 pm)
- Slow zone pilot launched, city seeks feedback
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:56 pm)
- 40th Saint Patrick’s Day Parade
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:52 pm)
- City manager proposes FY2024 budget
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:46 pm)
- Shots fired near Bishop Ireton
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:38 pm)
- Arrest made in DASH bus hijacking attempt
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:34 pm)
- Motorcycle crash investigation pending
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:30 pm)
- Ting Internet is Bringing the Power of Fiber to Alexandria
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:51 am)
- Costumed Students Read To Elementary Children At Alexandria School
Patch (Thursday @ 11:04 am)
- All Alexandria City Police Officers To Wear Body Worn Cameras, April 2023 Starts Rolling Depolyment
Zebra (Thursday @ 9:28 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 11:00 am Saturday: Fun Dog Show 2023
- 7:30 pm Saturday: Concert for Piano & Winds – George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”
There are some exciting changes underway this week, from new businesses to new infrastructure improvements. While Astro Beer Hall (4001 Campbell Avenue) is outside of Alexandria in the Shirlington neighborhood,…
At a town hall meeting last Sunday, most City Council members said — in no uncertain terms — that they are opposed to a ward system in Alexandra. Currently, all…
Alexandria is bracing for a federal government shutdown at midnight on Sunday (Oct. 1). The city is preparing a package of services for impacted city residents, should Congress not come…
Shuttles are running between the Potomac Yard Metro station and National Airport Metro station after a derailment this morning. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) said there were no injuries…
If you had a chance to enhance a child’s future with a time commitment of less than 2 hours a week, how would you respond? You have that opportunity right now to join over 200 Alexandrians as a reading tutor volunteer with the Alexandria Tutoring Consortium (ATC).
ATC tutors work with one child in kindergarten, first, or second grade in Alexandria public schools who need extra help with reading. Tutors meet with their Book Buddy 1-2 times each week for 30 minutes October-May at school, during school hours. Many struggling readers only receive one-on-one instruction through this program, and it makes all the difference. Last year, ATC served 195 children, of whom 82% ended the year reading on grade level and 96% made substantial reading gains. But the need is great, and we are still seeing learning lags from the pandemic.
This year, ATC plans to significantly increase the size of the program to reach over 250 students and to serve every elementary school in Alexandria. This is very exciting news, but we will only succeed if we can recruit more tutors. ATC trains you, matches you with a child, and provides ongoing lesson materials and support.
If you have been thinking about buying your first home or haven’t owned one in the last three years, THIS IS FOR YOU!
In the DMV area, it can be difficult to save the downpayment necessary for you to get into your own home. We have a solution. The Funder’s Summit!
We have assembled a summit with different municipalities to tell you how to access their funds for your home purchase.
Mark your calendars and join us for the Family Fun Fall Fest on Saturday, October 7, 2023, from 11am – 2pm!
This FREE in-person event will be held at the Shoppes at Foxchase, located at 4641 Duke St, Alexandria, VA