Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Rain throughout the day. High of 60 and low of 43.
☔ Tomorrow: Windy in the morning. High of 62 and low of 45. Sunrise at 6:38 am and sunset at 6:04 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Some Alexandrians didn’t have to go a thousand miles to see Vanessa Carlton.
The singer-songwriter and pianist played at The Birchmere last night. Ahead of the concert, the Alexandria Times managed to snag an interview with Carlton.
In the interview, Carlton talks about some of the recent challenges, from releasing an album right at the start of the Covid pandemic, and some plans for the future.
Carlton also got candid about her relationship with “A Thousand Miles” — the 2002 song that was Carlton’s biggest hit. She told the Alexandria Times the song is sort of the “elephant in the room” during most concerts, so Carlton generally opens with it so the audience can get settled and focus afterward on the other music.
The full interview is available at the Alexandria Times website.
Photo via Vanessa Carlton/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 2, 2023.
- High-rise West End office building converted into 212-unit apartment tower (2649 views)
- Notes: Massive Braddock affordable housing project gets City Council approval (2244 views)
- Most and least expensive homes sold in Alexandria (Feb-Mar 2023) | ALXnow (606 views)
- Inova wants 250-foot height allowance for its Hospital at Landmark project (516 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- 🌱 Medical Campus Coming To West End + AWLA Fun Dog Show
Patch (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Burke Killings Lead To Second Conviction For Alexandria Man
Patch (Thursday @ 4:25 pm)
- Meet Adoptable Pet Rosie, Attend Fun Dog Show In Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 2:56 pm)
- Remembering the unthinkable after a decade
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:42 pm)
- About Alexandria with Mark Eaton: Using a sledgehammer to swat a fly
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:04 pm)
- Vanessa Carlton to play the Birchmere
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:59 pm)
- Your Views: Density policies, high taxes raise housing prices
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:48 pm)
- Your Views: Reaching Alexandria’s marginalized residents
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:42 pm)
- Our View: Change the verdict
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:34 pm)
- Trendy colors to reflect a comforting life
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:29 pm)
- Why is my dog barking?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:20 pm)
- LTA’s ‘Lettice and Lovage’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:09 pm)
- Slow zone pilot launched, city seeks feedback
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:56 pm)
- 40th Saint Patrick’s Day Parade
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:52 pm)
- City manager proposes FY2024 budget
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:46 pm)
- Shots fired near Bishop Ireton
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:38 pm)
- Arrest made in DASH bus hijacking attempt
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:34 pm)
- Motorcycle crash investigation pending
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:30 pm)
- Ting Internet is Bringing the Power of Fiber to Alexandria
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:51 am)
- Costumed Students Read To Elementary Children At Alexandria School
Patch (Thursday @ 11:04 am)
- All Alexandria City Police Officers To Wear Body Worn Cameras, April 2023 Starts Rolling Depolyment
Zebra (Thursday @ 9:28 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 11:00 am Saturday: Fun Dog Show 2023
- 7:30 pm Saturday: Concert for Piano & Winds – George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”
This past week saw 30 homes sold in Alexandria. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $190,000 while the most expensive was…
One year after a plan to open at 128 N. Pitt Street seemingly fell through, hyper-popular D.C. bagel shop Call Your Mother Deli says an Alexandria location in Old Town…
No one was injured or arrested after a report of gunfire in Old Town on Tuesday. The incident occurred at around 5:25 p.m. in the 600 block of S. Fayette…
(Updated 12:35 p.m.) Virginia Railway Express (VRE) trains were stopped last night after a vehicle struck the bridge over King Street — again. The delay is the latest in a…
Monarch Montessori School located in the heart of Del Ray is enrolling children 6 weeks to 6 years of age for our half day and full day program.
Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday-Friday. Monarch Montessori School is open year round, with intermittent breaks.
Children engage in self-directed, self-initiated activities under the guidance of a trained Montessori teacher. Classroom sizes range from 8-12 students. Our robust curriculum includes botany, sensorial activities, the social graces, culture, math, science, practical life, geography, music appreciation and language arts.
You’ll get half off of the registration fee when you register and begin care with us before April 30, 2023.
EDBS Dental Billing Solutions is pleased to announce that it has achieved compliance with the federally mandated standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through the use of Compliancy Group’s proprietary HIPAA methodology, The Guard® compliance tracking software, and HIPAA Seal of Compliance®.
The HIPAA Seal of Compliance is issued to organizations that have implemented an effective HIPAA compliance program through the use of The Guard, Compliancy Group’s proprietary compliance tracking solution.
Clients and patients are becoming more aware of the requirements of HIPAA compliance and how the regulation protects their personal information. Forward-thinking providers like EDBS Dental Billing Solutions choose the HIPAA Seal of Compliance to differentiate their services.
Del Ray Dog Fest & Yappy Hour
The 1st Annual Del Ray Dog Fest is a fun outdoor event that will include dog-centered activities, dog menu items, live music, vendors and food on Sunday, April 2 from 11am- 3pm at the George Washington Middle School parking lot.